Thread: Dai-Riki vs TMC hooks

Default Dai-Riki vs TMC hooks

Dai-Riki hooks appear to be substantially less expensive than TMC hooks. Are Dai-Riki hooks inferior to TMC, or a bargain?
    Last edited by smctrout; 12-19-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Both I use the Dai-Riki hooks or some other less expensive brand on the larger heavier weighted nymphs that I loose a lot when I get hung on the bottom and in snags. Flies like girdle bugs, WB's, stone fly nymphs, and caddis larva. Basically anything I'm dragging bottom with. I still like TMC for the smaller nymphs and dries though. I think they are the standard other Pacific Rim hooks are judged by. They are hard to beat sharpness and quality wise. I'm not opposed to saving some money but when I consider the time I put into a fly a few cents more per hook is no big deal. I want the best hook for the job.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I find dia-riki hooks break a lot more often. Even in vise.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

Default Alllen Hooks

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    Both I use the Dai-Riki hooks or some other less expensive brand on the larger heavier weighted nymphs that I loose a lot when I get hung on the bottom and in snags. Flies like girdle bugs, WB's, stone fly nymphs, and caddis larva. Basically anything I'm dragging bottom with. I still like TMC for the smaller nymphs and dries though. I think they are the standard other Pacific Rim hooks are judged by. They are hard to beat sharpness and quality wise. I'm not opposed to saving some money but when I consider the time I put into a fly a few cents more per hook is no big deal. I want the best hook for the job.
    You might take a look at the hooks from Allen Fly Fishing. I'd not normally post a link to an online supplier here, but it's the only place to get them as far as I know. Great product at a great price: http://www.allenflyfishing.com
    Last edited by technowannabe; 12-20-2016 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Typographical

Flyred- They are all tempered so hard now days that they can break. I guess in the quest to make the hooks sharper and hold their sharpness longer you have to give up something. I can remember when you could almost bend a Mustad hook in a horseshoe shape and not break it.

Techno-I've tried about all of them at some time or another. Allen makes a decent hook for the money.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I have been using the Allen barbless hooks and they seem to perform very well. I landed (and released) an 18" rainbow on the Clinch using a stripper midge tied on a size 18 Allen N203BL hook. I also like the Allen jig hook - J100BL.

i like dai-riki and have had zero issues with them . limited styles though. Tiemco keep getting more and more expensive and i seldom buy them unless i want a particular style or big flies

daiichi are probably my favorite overall for small flies. always sharp and can find in 100 packs . like gamakatsu for streamers and big flies.

the hends and hanak brands are great for barbless. dohiku as well. just got some allen ones. they seem well made but have not fished them yet and are great value for barbless

ken sawada's hooks are also beautiful.

Thumbs up Dai-Riki #135

The Dai-Riki #135 is probably the most versatile and best setting midge hook out there...Love it. Just wish LRO could get the brand so I can add them to my orders. They are very hard and unforgiving in the vise. However; the offset, gape ratio, strength, and value are bar none...

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”