Thread: Sinking Line

Default Sinking Line

With the increase in population in middle Tennessee and maybe some increased interest in stream fishing, the local trout streams continue to get more and more crowded. In the past, I would just drive to the stream and walk in to fish. I never do that now. For several years now, I always have a boat, raft, or kayak to drift away from the crowds. However, that is even becoming more difficult. I have decided that I need to find some alternatives that will allow more solitude. Those alternatives also allow for a shorter time requirement. So, I am trying to get things aligned for Smallmouth, Carp, and maybe some Muskie fishing. I have fished almost exclusively floating line, but I need to get some sinking line. I have read some about choosing a sinking line, but I would like the opinion of the experts on this site. I will be fishing both lakes and streams. Is there one type sinking line that will accommodate both of those type waters such as a sink tip line? What is your favorite brand? Should I get a clear line?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and guidance.
    Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

I'd look into the intermediate lines they are very versatile and will work for both applications you're interested in.

Yes, get an intermediate. I have a class 3 full sink and rarely use it, but an intermediate is very useful especially in rivers and creeks. Haven't spent a lot of time fishing lakes with the fly rod other than topwater when they are shallow.
    I don't really like a ready made sinktip line, but do carry some quick sink 5ft poly leaders that will loop to loop on to my floating line. They are tapered and I add about 2-3 ft of 12lb flouro tippet. They are nice to be able to put on when needed if out wading and don't want to carry multiple spools. When out on the kayak for smallies, I rig one rod with an intermediate, and the other with a standard floater.
    I plan on buying a new intermediate this year. I really like my Rio Outbound short floater , so will probably get one in the intermediate also. good line for long cast with poppers or streamers on a fast rod.
    You might want to give David Perry a hollar also and see what he is using over there in your area also.

There can be a fairly significant change in your casting habits when you move over to a sinking line , and even the intermediates to some extent.

Lifting the submerged line off the water is a lot different for some casters than the ease of lifting a floating line.

The integrated lines that have a sinking /or/intermdiate head (10-20 feet) and a floating body and running line may make your casting more pleasant. And you can get about the same depths you want . Add the the various type sink or intermediate leader( at trout man suggested) and you may have what you need. All of this assumes you are not trying to get more than ten feet of depth to you fly in going water, as that might require the full sinking line.

Air Flo has pretty much nailed the entire selection options on the integrated line, sink and intermediate tips, and the leaders to go with them. I have used those arrangements a good bit on both two handed and single handed rods in steelhead and sea run brown trout locations , and once you get the line options tuned (and mends) in to the depths and conditions you can be pretty sure the fly is at the depth you want it. Take look at the air flo website . fwiw

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for your advice. I appreciate you taking the time to help with my decision.

Have a great day!
    Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

These are a great alternative to a full sinking line set up.

http://www.rioproducts.com/products/...ut-versileader
    To Fish or not to Fish? That's a stupid question.

http://www.tu.org/

I fish in the salt flats quite often in and around Tampa Bay and Sarasota Bay. I used to use a floating line and got very few strikes. I switched to a sinking line and what a difference. I really started to catch fish. I use a fast sinking SA Wet Cell fast sink line in a 9 weight in a level or weight forward. What I do is get a lot of line in the air which is easy with these lines and then shoot to a desired spot on the water. I then just start stripping the line in until the fly is close enough to just lift it out of the water, and then start the cast again. This is basically what spin fisher persons do with their lures and jigs.
    Joe