Thread: From this Summer - When the water is low, I know where to go

Talking From this Summer - When the water is low, I know where to go

I hardly had any trips this year as compared to the last few years, and many that I did go on, I never even brought my camera. But for this trip, I took pictures and meant to post a report, but could never find the time. To help kick off the relaunching of the forum, here's my contribution 6 months late:

With the severe and extreme drought this Summer, finding a place with water can be a a challenge. Luckily I knew of a place that had more water than 15 streams combined on other side of mountain, and took full advantage with my buddy Andrew and the Professor's (Dave and Nathan). Places like this are not to be taken lightly in regular condition, but the drought may not have completely tamed the adventure, fear was not a dominant emotion and made the experience more welcoming.

Even with the low water this one starts off with a tough hike up the mountain. After an exhaustive climb we searched for the old grade. Unfortunately recent storms knocked down a serious amount of trees and made the usual easy trek (well for this section anyway) a bit of a slog. Andrew has hurt his hip recently and was dragging a bit. He usually is giving me a run for my money, but not today. We eventually make our way past the worst of the damage and arrive at the water.

First fish (before other suckers I mean friends got rigged up). Guru Freddie is good teacher

And the scene

Some slime mold I have never seen in some stagnant water

Snook up on this snake, and for once I think he was more scared

Nathan is trained in the ways of a Smokies fisherman and takes the lead.

Correct specie

Man I got to get upstream of this guy

My only shot of Andrew all day. While we waited up at several times for safety, I don't think he got much fresh water. I still think he was content just to be there though.

Bad shot, Nice pool!

Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Wink

If your not impressed with these surrounding you don't need to be on a fly fishing board

Dr Dave - The Bear whisperer - fishing the electric waters

While the gradient is quite extreme as some points it does open to prime fishing waters

When you in true wilderness, you can tell where you are by the feeder streams or big waterfalls. Must pay attention to clues that are easy to miss

No monster, but you won't hear me complain

No words - just Awe

Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

These guys are still present thanks to big barrels and mules over 100 years ago

Back to climbing

But it leads to this. Notice Dave is finally starting to learn and is attempting to leap frog Nathan

Gates of heaven - To me better than Gold

Found this guy that was launched several weeks earlier.

We sent him back on his way

Dave attempt failed Nathan in lead again

A look behind

And the objective of this mission....fishing

We finally reached out out point and climber out of the creek up to the real trail system. If you didn't feel beat at that point, you would after the next climb.

Nathan is conditioned for such things and even looks pretty happy at the top of the mountain

Dave on the other hand is still paying his dues

I think I've seen that same face on several others in past trips.

Another great day in the mountains. Till next time
    www.foamiefriends.com

Awesome adventure. I love these "late" trip reports. It reminds me that summer is just around the corner.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

The last pic says it all. One of the last best spec havens in the Smokeys. Welcome to the secluded side of the Smokeys.