Thread: Seeking vise advise

Question Seeking vise advise

I have been tying flies on a Norvise for about 2 years - It is great for streamers, intruders, spey and larger flies which I tie for fishing in the Northwest. It is not as great for small flies in the 18-26 range. I am thinking of buying a Regal Medallion Rotary or Revolution Vice with either the midge or stainless steel head for doing small nymphs or dries. Any advice on the Regal or suggestions for an alternative?

I tie with a Regal Medallion Tradition Model! I have tied thousands of flies with it and I love it. I am very pleased with it. One of the negatives are rust areas on the action parts that get touched often. So, I would look at the stainless head. I think they have improved on their painting (coating) process since my model....
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I like the stainless steel head. Plenty of room to work around the fly and it will hold tiny hooks.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I tie on a Griffin Odyssey and really like it.

X2 with the stainless steel parts.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

flyman and I posted at the same time. X3 with stainless.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Great Vise! x4 on the SS Head it is by far and a way the best. I have a Big Game Head for sale for $100 if you want to have multiple heads and expand your warmwater hook options as well.
    "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been"

I think the Renzetti vises are some of the best for tiny flies.

I think the presentation 2000 is their best value. I have tied 2/0-28 and the pedestal base is quite stable. the ability to adjust the angle of the head is worth the extra price vs the traveller version. . I am left handed and converting over is a bit of a chore

I also have a barracuda jr by dyna king. very stable true rotary. need midge head to tie small and adjusting a bit more finicky than the Renzetti. mine is over 20 years old and has a bit of squeak in the rotary bearing and that annoyed me so i got the renzetti. some of their other models are r/l specific

my third vise is a regal traditional. great for speed and can tie surprisingly small flies on it. base not as stable as others. i tried them all out did not buy the stainless steel head as i wanted to tie some bigger flies on this style of vise (i.e. lever cam)

i almost bought the petitjean one instead of the renzetti. it is an unbelievable vise. great for small flies. could not justify price as i already had 2 vises

We are finally going to start stocking the Regal Vises. The Stainless jaws look to have the best range for hook sizes.