Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission Complete:)

Default Mission Complete:)

So I drove up to the Smokies to do a tying demo over the weekend and of course since the wife and kids stayed back home I had to pack a rod for my downtime I arrived very early in the morning and stopped by the flyshop to say hey to everyone and then I hit a blueline that I have always loved. My goal on this outing was to only use my 2 favorite flies....the Minnie mouse and baby sculpin. These 2 lil flies have caught me everything from sunfish, smallmouth, largemouth, brown trout, etc and they are easy to cast on lighter rods. I had also read lots of stories and talked to a few guys from out west that use downsized mice in high mountain lakes and streams for cutties and brookies so I knew it was feasible here...and boy did it work!! after hiking up about 2.5 miles I immediately hopped in the water and put my 64p to work throwing the size 8 mouse into each pocket and skittering it across each tiny pool only to have colored brookies go airborne and smash it! After about 7 brookies on the mouse I reached a deep slow pool so I tied on the baby sculpin to dredge the head of the pool....within a few cast I hooked a beauty and even had others following the hooked fish. I ended up with 1 more from that pool before hopping upstream to the next hole. this scenario went on all afternoon and I ended up stopping just shy of 2 dozen brookies, all on the mouse and sculpin

Beauties. Those little boogers are hungry

Great job, those are some nice specs.

Man I hate that I wasn't able to join you. It looks like you had a great time up there. Glad you found some fish and most of all caught them on those flies!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

David- we will definitely have to do some fishing sometime soon! I hope to be back for terrestials this summer.

Nice pictures
    My posts are worthless without pictures

It always amazes me just what a trout will eat.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Nice pics, always figured it would work. Is that a variation of a Mr. Hankey fly, see something like that out west just on bigger hooks.
    Glad you had a great weekend!
    Side note: Did we meet on Deep creek after Bryson City Fly Tie weekend this fall?
    That sculpin looks like one someone gave me, his friend with him had just moved to NC.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

bigsur- we did meet! I gave yall a few sculpins when me and my friend/rod builder chris Barclay were in the parking lot. as far as the mouse..its just a gurgler style mouse I call the Minnie mouse.

I never forget a sculpins face! I am sorry I did not put it together before last weekend, would have loved to see you tie those.
    I have the sculpin you gave me, that is a great looking fly and perfect size for the Smokies!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."