Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drift boat help

Default drift boat help

So im about to buy my first drift boat and am wanting to get after some smallies this spring. Im wondering if anyone can help me with put ins and take outs on the french broad and holston? Also good levels to float at. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Book a day with any of our local guides and get a reasonably priced education before you drop a dime on a boat. If smallies are your target book a day with Josh Pfeiffer for some more reasonably priced "schoolin". MHO
    Last edited by bigsur; 03-30-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Getting someone with the knowledge of dealing with the river(s) to go with is the best thing you can do. Years ago when I learned the rivers, I had someone with years of experience with me to show me the ropes. It can be very tricky once you hit the water and there are times/places on them when they are NOT forgiving.

Thanks for the concern. I definitely have experience with whitewater. I have been kayaking class 5 in the southeast for a while. Honestly i just like doing things the hard way sometimes and figuring things out myself. Thanks for the input.

Whitewater and the rivers mentioned are comparing apples to oranges.

Snags, trees, limbs, weirs, shoals, etc. are rampant on these rivers and knowing how and where to navigate are very different than whitewater. Knowing where, when and how is pretty much a learned experience from others that have done it.

FWIW.

Good levels to float at for the two rivers you asked about would be lowest as possible (pulsing) or as close as you can get. Fish can be caught on high flows but you will get way better numbers on low or falling water. Or of course the initial feeding frenzy that occurs when the water first begins to rise can also be good. Right now they are filling up the lakes so both rivers will have minumal flow until they are full barring a monsoon.

Quote Originally Posted by David.R View Post
    Thanks for the concern. I definitely have experience with whitewater. I have been kayaking class 5 in the southeast for a while. Honestly i just like doing things the hard way sometimes and figuring things out myself. Thanks for the input.
    class V interesting...

big difference in whitewater in a highly maneuverable kayak and in a drift boat. One screw up on a tree in heavy current you're sinking your boat. With that said neither river is treacherous by any means.

access to the Holston is tough, unless you know someone. French broad is littered with ramps though. Low water is your friend, and keep in mind some of these stretches are 30 miles from the dam so schedules can be hard to read as it takes hours or days for the affects to show up.

I stand corrected, Douglas dam is pumping in the afternoon for the next couple days

As a long time whitewater kayaker who began rowing a raft on our tail waters last year I have no qualms about his ability to make the transition to a drift boat. You guys that think this is apples and oranges are correct; the skills and understanding of water required to paddle whitewater at that level pretty much make that transition trivial. The skill set for rowing is much lower on these streams and nobody paddling whitewater at that level is going to have much trouble. He understands what a strainer is. That said.. Waterwolf pretty much covered it.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by billj View Post
    As a long time whitewater kayaker who began rowing a raft on our tail waters last year I have no qualms about his ability to make the transition to a drift boat. You guys that think this is apples and oranges are correct; the skills and understanding of water required to paddle whitewater at that level pretty much make that transition trivial. The skill set for rowing is much lower on these streams and nobody paddling whitewater at that level is going to have much trouble. He understands what a strainer is. That said.. Waterwolf pretty much covered it.
    I hadn't seen the forum in a few days and loved this posting and responses.

Bill J you are so much more tactful and kind in your response then I would ever be. You get the good diplomat award

While i agree it's 2 different skill sets, and if you turned the equation around your arguments would make sense, but anyone who is confident in Class 5 whitewater will find rowing (the danger part) trivial. Yeah man West Prong and Raven Fork are pretty tough, but man you better be careful of the shoals above the jail or the curve by the church at South Holston.....

While it took me a few rows to adjust as everything is opposite, the hardest thing for me was slowing down enough, and making sure paddle strokes are as quiet as possible
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com