Thread: Hiwassee 4/10/17

Default Hiwassee 4/10/17

Fished the hiwassee this evening. The water was moving slow because they weren't spilling any. Started at the rock wall just past towee creek. I do not have waders yet so I fished a couple open areas standing on the rocks near the wall. Hooked one on an olive wooly bugger after about 20 minutes. I obviously didn't set the hook well enough. I'm still getting the feel of the whole fly fishing thing. Anyways, the fished jumped a few times and threw the hook. I guess they caught on to the the wooly bugger because I didn't have any more luck with that. Slung a small bead head nymph for a while with no luck either.

Eventually moved on down towards the powerhouse. Fished the boat ramp and even waded out and positioned my self on some rocks that were out of the water. Waders and boots are a must I have decided. My feet in sandals were freezing and I was slipping and sliding everywhere. It was nice to get out further and have an opportunity to fish new water so I will be investing in waders and boots soon.

The fish kept hitting flies on top of the water so I threw on a dry fly. After a few minutes one hit my fly on top of the water. Same story as before. I lifted up on the rod and pulled the line with my left hand. Obviously I failed to set the hook once again. The fish jumped and got off. I was disappointed yet at the same time excited because this is the first action I've had on a fly rod. Can't wait to get back out there and try it again.

Has anyone else fished the hiwassee lately?

Thanks for the report.

The Hiwassee can be wet waded through the summer. If you're wanting to save some money, look into just getting a pair of wading boots. I don't normally wear wading socks, but they would help to keep your feet warm. It's turning into wet wading season in most places except the coldest tailwaters anyhow.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Buzz,

I think you are right. I think wet wading is the best way to go for the upcoming summer. I dont see any reason to buy waders right now when the water is only getting warmer. I plan on buying some felt boots. What else do I need? I see neoprene booties online but I am not sure what the benefit of those are. Is it just for added warmth or what? If they dont keep your feet dry or warm then i dont see any benefit in buying those. I could just wear wading boots and socks. What are your thoughts?

Buy the neoprene socks , they provide warmth and extra cushioning. I have both cabelas and Simms, go with the Simms they are a better fit

I also like neoprene wading socks if wearing wading boots. I have both Simms and Orvis and like both. If you wear regular socks, wading boots can really chafe your legs.

I suggest buying the neoprene socks to wear under your wading boots too. If you are going to buy waders later, they will almost always have neoprene stocking feet on them wether they are neoprene or breathable type waders. If you get boots to fit over neoprene socks they will fit on your new waders too. If you get boots to fit without the neoprene socks they will be too small to wear with your waders ( unless you wear a few pairs of really thick wool socks under boots when wet wading, which is not very comfortable and holds gravel/grit)