Thread: Striper Setup

Default Striper Setup

I need some help getting a striper setup together. I am going striper fishing with my friend sometime next week and he has never fished for them with a fly rod. I have an 8wt rod and pretty decent reel on it, so I bought some 3"/sec 8wt sink tip line, some 40lb, 30lb, and 20lb mono to make leaders, along with some #2, #1, #1/0 clousers and half and halfs. The problem is, he catches monsters regularly! I have never caught anything this big on a fly rod. Can an 8wt with a basic reel land a few stripers or am I way off on trying to use this setup? Are those size flies going to be super hard to cast with my 8wt? Should I bring some gloves for when my drag explodes? Haha Also, has anybody tried braided line to make leaders?

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacMTSU View Post
    I need some help getting a striper setup together. I am going striper fishing with my friend sometime next week and he has never fished for them with a fly rod. I have an 8wt rod and pretty decent reel on it, so I bought some 3"/sec 8wt sink tip line, some 40lb, 30lb, and 20lb mono to make leaders, along with some #2, #1, #1/0 clousers and half and halfs. The problem is, he catches monsters regularly! I have never caught anything this big on a fly rod. Can an 8wt with a basic reel land a few stripers or am I way off on trying to use this setup? Are those size flies going to be super hard to cast with my 8wt? Should I bring some gloves for when my drag explodes? Haha Also, has anybody tried braided line to make leaders?
    That's gonna be a blast! I've got an 8 wt that I use for both bass and some saltwater. It'll handle those flies fine and should be able to handle all but maybe the biggest stripers. Good luck!
    -:- Todd Baker
    -:- Former Coloradoan with Appalachian roots and saltwater aspirations.
    -:- https://www.instagram.com/technowannabe/