Thread: New Personal Best Park Brown

Default New Personal Best Park Brown

After having a 3 month hiatus from the Park while finishing up school, I had the opportunity to finally revisit one of my favorite streams on the Carolina side of the Park. I was met with absolutely perfect water conditions, high with a little bit of color, which is very conducive for finding some actively feeding larger browns. I find it ironic that I recently posted a thread title "Your Most Memorable Park Fish", based on a story of a 19" male brown I caught out of this same stream under eerily similar conditions last June. Today, I topped that feat with my largest Park brown to date, a 20" beautiful stick of butter.

The day started out slower than expected, but it wasn't too long until I was into some willing customers, rainbows and browns alike...

I worked my way upstream a good ways, and after several hours I was almost ready to head to the truck to call it day. Instead, I elected to fish up to the next foot bridge, and it's a good thing that I did. Throwing into a deep eddy separating two heavy runs, I felt a hard take on my Euro-nymph style rig. What happened next, took me by absolute surprise. I knew it was a decent fish, and at one point thought it had ran me under a ledge and hung my rig on a rock. I eased my way slightly downstream and the fish took off on its first of many runs across the pool. I knew instantly that the fish I had on was no joke. The situation was much more precarious given the swift water surrounding the pool that I was fighting this fish in.

This fish ran me up-ways, sideways, down-ways, around-ways and even attempted to go through my legs at one point! After several minutes went on, which seemed like an eternity, the fish showed itself for the first time. I was now looking at a ticked off, gorgeous 20+ inch brown trout. I got downstream of the fish to discourage it from running into a heavy run below, keeping constant tension and doubling my 8'6" Winston GVX 4 weight completely in half. I really worried that I was about to break the rod at several moments of the encounter. Side note: fighting a large fish while trying to get to the net while keeping said fish out of fast water is MUCH, MUCH HARDER when you are by yourself.

After taking a few more long, hard runs across the pool, the fish darted back towards me and took off downstream through a fast chute below. The saving grace to this is that I always use 6 lb flourocarbon when fishing double nymph rigs for big browns, due to its abrasion resistance and durability. That is literally the only reason I landed this fish, well and the fact that the rubber-leg prince nymph it took was firmly planted in the corner of its jaw. Finally, the fish ended up in some flat water some 20 yards downstream of the heavy run. I brought the fish to the surface, lifted and tilted the rod back and scooped it up into my net!! (I'm going to invest in a bigger net, by the way!!)

Taking selfies with a large wild brown is no easy proposition, but I was able to get a few serviceable pictures of the fish. It's a shame that I didn't have a buddy with a camera this trip, because my pictures really couldn't do this fish justice. It taped right at 20" and had the girth of a middle linebacker. Due to the extreme surprise, lengthy fight, unorthodox landing technique and situation, along with the beauty and size of this fish puts this brown as my new favorite Park fish memory. I was truly blessed to connect with and admire him for a brief moment before safely releasing him to swim another day, hopefully growing to an even greater length.

Here are some of the quick pictures I was able to capture of this beautiful specimen. A 20" wild Smokies brown, my new personal Park record.

Yep, we're gonna need a bigger net...

The head on this fish...

Congrats on such a nice fish, and with finishing school.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Nice fish dude! Congrats!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Congrats!

If you want to feel challenged, try using a net where less than 1/2 the trout will fit in!
    Done that!

I've caught 90% of my big Smoky Mtn brown fishing solo. It is a bigger challenge to land one, but I get so focused on the fight, I don't think about it.

Jim

Jim, I'm the same exact way. I was so dialed in fighting this fish. The footage of this particular fight would have been epic. I honestly think I perform better solo haha, same thing with my golf game!

I think in the tight confines of the Smokies, it is easier to catch large fish solo. Especially where stealth is a necessity, another person just doubles the likelihood of one being spooked before getting a shot at it.

I've thought about what it would be like to have a video of an epic battle. The first thing I'd probably see was how clumsy I am running up and down the stream. The next would be how short (time wise) the fight was. It seems like 30 minutes sometimes, but it's probably closer to 5-10 mins.

Chase, let me know if you like to read outdoor books about fly fishing. I have something you might like. My email address is grampusjim@comcast.net

Chase, this is a fantastic fish. Congrats.