Thread: Clinch Suphurs

Default Clinch Suphurs

Fished the Clinch down by the church Sunday.
    Very alarmed at the lack of mayfly nymphs.
    The river looked great with a lot of newish aquatic grass growth that was full of scuds and midge larvae.
    But, no mayfly nymphs.
    Hmmm.
    I did see exactly 2 duns all day!

4X

Clearly all the spilling and sluicing water has washed all the food out of the river. 👀😂

Fished same location on Sat, and on Sat + Mon the week before (Memorial Day weekend). Fishing was very slow every time. Didn't see anyone else doing much better. Just a lot of fishermen catching very few trout. With the recreation schedule being only time to wade for last few weeks, the fishermen are all concentrated in one area but the bugs and fish must be somewhere else. I saw maybe 3-4 sulfers per day as well. Managed one fish in 3 days on a midge pupae with maybe 3-4 misses total. Perhaps there was better fishing way upriver but I can't get there early enough to fish it.

Sunday there were 3 bait fishermen catching the crap out of some browns.
    This was during the drop. They quit catching after the river slowed.
    It's true that the fishing for us fly guys was slow (I caught 2 fish) BUT there's fish down there(just no mayflies).
    And yes, I showed 'em the food chain including streamers early.
    Hard to beat a juicy nightcrawler I guess.

4X

As far as the mayflies goes the last couple years for me the bigger sulphurs hatches have came off in the month of April and early may. So who really knows, the bugs are still there and they're smalllll. But I think it's a combination of things. The mass gathering of fishermen on the river during the small windows of wade opportunities paired with summer time patterns, combined with there being stupid ammounts of water being pushed down the river on a daily basis. Then again I don't have factual answers lol
    Last edited by Robinryder2; 06-06-2017 at 08:45 PM.