Thread: June 16 fishing

Default June 16 fishing

Hi I was wondering what's the highest water temps you guys fish in the lower elevations. I fished in the park last weekend at higher elevations and had good success. Brookies and rainbows. I'm going with a buddy the weekend of June 16 to the mountains and it appears the south holston will be unwadeable. While it was was fun catching several trout in higher elevations I was looking for a bit bigger fish. I've usually had better luck with size lower in the park but was wondering ab water temps mid June.

When the temps start hitting the high 60's, I start looking for cooler water. At 70, I won't even wet a line. The odds of stressing the fish go up tremendously and they may appear to live, but don't last.

The other factors about fishing low on Little River are the tubers, plcnicers, swimmers and other fishermen who don't know better.

I agree with the water temps. My cutoff is about 65. Even then the fishing can be very good if you fish the extra oxygenated, turbulent, white water. I've gotten into a few nice sized trout right at the base of a waterfall in the white, bubbly water.

Regarding swimmers and tubers.... Never Say Never:
    Years ago, (15-20) I was fishing with a long time fishing buddy (in fact we grew up learning to fly fish together), we were fishing below the Townsend Wye. As I walked around the big pool along the grassy bank where all the sunbathers were, a goofy looking tourist surfaced wearing goggles and a snorkel from where West Prong enters the Wye hole. He looks up at me and says, "Hey buddy! There's about a dozen fish right here if you wanna fish for them." Thinking this guy is clueless to trout behavior, I "humored" him with a half-hearted cast. Long story short, in 13 casts, I caught 12 rainbows. I missed one because of a nice bikini lying across the current from me I counted the incident as "dumb stockers" that made their way upstream from outside the Park. Anyway, I have since learned the art of fishing amongst the tubers as well. What I have learned is that trout, even big brown trout, become accustomed to people and will continue to feed even as tubers pass thru. In fact, sometimes they will move away from the tuber line and into the shallow side pockets making them easier to catch to the fisherman with a watchful eye and careful approach. One favorite spot of mine is Metcalf Bottoms. I've caught more than one 20+ inch brown around there as tubers floated by. Once, in the midst of fighting a brown measured at 25", I had to yell at tubers passing by to splash water to scare a fighting trout back to where I wanted to land it.

Bottom line with tubers, if possible, smile and let them pass by then wait about 10 seconds and cast. If that's not possible because the TUBER HATCH IS ON, try not to hook them or their tube.

Words of Experience,
    Jim Parks
    Last edited by Grampus; 06-12-2017 at 02:26 PM.

I can totally buy that Grampus. When I took my daughter to midnight hole a few years back, the trout were feeding just a couple of feet away from the swimmers.

Is it OK to yell insults at tubers as they pass by. After all, what can they do?
    Joe

You'd loose your voice in just minutes if you tried to yell at all of them.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Wink Tuber repellent clothing

Quote Originally Posted by xvigauge View Post
    Is it OK to yell insults at tubers as they pass by. After all, what can they do?
    Joe
    I bet if you dressed like this guy on the river those tubers would give you a bit more space:-)
    -:- Todd Baker
    -:- Former Coloradoan with Appalachian roots and saltwater aspirations.
    -:- https://www.instagram.com/technowannabe/

Quote Originally Posted by technowannabe View Post
    I bet if you dressed like this guy on the river those tubers would give you a bit more space:-)
    That's a good point. I would even look worse than he does in that outfit. I guess the tubers have as much right on the rivers as we do as aggravating as they may be. I guess they help bring some money to the local businesses which is a good thing. We just have to fish early and late in the day.
    Joe

With the right attitude, it can be hilarious to watch them go over falls and underwater as they lose their expensive Ray-Bans and dignity! A few weeks ago, I even took pity on an overweight bald guy and held his tube while he collected himself. I try not to laugh but when momma gets pissed at dad for talking her into "shooting the rapids" it's just too much fun to miss. A little comic relief for when I get too intense and need to chill a bit. Last year, I was teaching a 15 yo and I was upstream & outta his earshot. So every teenage girl that passed by, I quietly put her up to telling him how cute he was and ask if he had a girlfriend. Poor feller lost all composure and fishing skills! Couldn't wade, couldn't cast. It was OVER for my blushing protege.

Jim Parks

Default Hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Grampus View Post
    ...So every teenage girl that passed by, I quietly put her up to telling him how cute he was and ask if he had a girlfriend. Poor feller lost all composure and fishing skills! Couldn't wade, couldn't cast. It was OVER for my blushing protege.

Jim Parks
    That's great! I was just thinking how awkward (and hilarious) it would've been had your student been an older dude like the one you helped with his tube.
    -:- Todd Baker
    -:- Former Coloradoan with Appalachian roots and saltwater aspirations.
    -:- https://www.instagram.com/technowannabe/