Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber soled boots for smokies ?

Default Rubber soled boots for smokies ?

I have a brand new pair of Simms Freestone boots with "StreamTread". They are rubber bottoms. Will these suffice on the streams in the Smokies or are felt-bottoms the only way to go ?

I've never used rubber soles but most of the park streams seem comparable to the Clinch to me. However I bought metal spiked felt soled boots just to fish Abrams Creek at Cade's Cove access. Apparently the organic matter coming out of Cade's Cove produces the extra/super slick conditions there. I'd suggest some of those screws for rubber soles if fishing Abrams.

I've fished everything. Felt, rubber, cleated rubber. And I think being smart, paying attention, and taking your time plays a big role. If it looks slick, it's slick. Loose round river rock is slick whether it's little river, watagua river, or Abrams creek.

Felt does stick well though. Soooo who knows lol
    Last edited by Robinryder2; 06-23-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Ive only used rubber soled Patagonia boots and Simms Rip Raps(rubber). They've worked for me.
    As Robin said though, I watch my step and move slowly....which we should be doing regardless.

shoeless posting about shoes............ Interesting

Just having some harmless fun with your handle.

I've often wondered how the non-felt soles did in the park. I normally wear Korkers, but not so I can change soles from hiking to wading, but so I can just replace the felt bottoms every year.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

I had a pair of Korkers Buckskins for about 1.5 years. I liked them but the boot itself tore apart. I bought some Simms G3 guide boots with rubber and I really like them. I don't slip around anymore or less then I did with felt.

I have used them all and the best thing I have found for wading is a wading staff.
    Joe

I used the AquaStealth rubber soles for years & they had good grip. Their durability was superb. Last few yrs I've used Korkers & change soles if I'm walking in a ways and put felt on when I reach the stream. Personally, I'm convinced the rocks & the water have colluded to kill us all!
    I once asked Matt Kulp why the Park doesn't follow NASCAR's safety barrier example and install safety rocks that are softer & grip better. Still waiting.....

Jim Parks

I'm currently in Patagonia Foot Tractors... I thought they were goofy and gimmicky. I had a couple different people tell me how amazing they were and so I tried them. I've fished with them three times in the Clinch and they stick to rocks WAY better than anything I've ever worn.
    My other boots are Simms Guide Boots with Felt - They're super comfy and the best felt boot IMO Long Lasting also. Time will tell the true story on the Foot Tractors, but they aluminum bars offer amazing traction
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

Old tennis shoes is the way to go