Thread: Carnivore Browns

Default Carnivore Browns

First time poster, long time lurker. Not much of a writer, bear with me... I was fishing in the park Saturday morning. It was pouring down and the water was a high and slightly stained. I always try and go when the conditions are such to see if i can entice the larger browns. About an hour into fishing i had something happen that has never happened to me in my years of trout fishing. I hooked into a tank brown (or so i thought) roughly 15 feet from me. My drag started screaming and i pulled back to regain the upper hand. Roughly five seconds into the fight i watched a small chunk of something came flying over my left shoulder. I reeled my line in and to my surprise it was a slightly mangled, 5-6 inch rainbow. What i reckon happened was that a small bow ate my fly and instantaneously a real nice brown tried to eat him. Took me five minutes to quit shaking from the adrenaline. Gonna try some rainbow imitations next time the water is up. Moral of the story, don't let the rain keep you at the house.

Default Got MY heart racing.

Quote Originally Posted by bcramsey View Post
    First time poster, long time lurker. Not much of a writer, bear with me... I was fishing in the park Saturday morning. It was pouring down and the water was a high and slightly stained. I always try and go when the conditions are such to see if i can entice the larger browns. About an hour into fishing i had something happen that has never happened to me in my years of trout fishing. I hooked into a tank brown (or so i thought) roughly 15 feet from me. My drag started screaming and i pulled back to regain the upper hand. Roughly five seconds into the fight i watched a small chunk of something came flying over my left shoulder. I reeled my line in and to my surprise it was a slightly mangled, 5-6 inch rainbow. What i reckon happened was that a small bow ate my fly and instantaneously a real nice brown tried to eat him. Took me five minutes to quit shaking from the adrenaline. Gonna try some rainbow imitations next time the water is up. Moral of the story, don't let the rain keep you at the house.
    That's big fun! I'm ready to get after them next stormy day.
    -:- Todd Baker
    -:- Former Coloradoan with Appalachian roots and saltwater aspirations.
    -:- https://www.instagram.com/technowannabe/

I've had that happen twice. Both times, monster browns have risen from a deep pool to try to eat the struggling fish on my line. Both times I dropped my rod in awe. Totally crazy when that happens!

I've heard about it in the Smokies, but it has never happened to me. I was saltwater fishing in Hawaii with a fly rod once and was fighting in a fish when I felt a "thump" and reeled in dead weight only to find what was on the head of the original fish. I assumed it was chomped by a barracuda, though it could've been a shark. I recommend noting the location and going back and studying the spot before approaching or casting. You know there's a large brown there, which is rule #1: Fishing where they are. Now you have #2: Study and Approach.
    This photo was taken over the weekend. A friend and I were saving a couple for dinner. His rainbow was about 8 inches. I jokingly said my brown would eat his "baby bow" and he didn't believe me, but I did prove that it would fit in the brown's jaws!

Jim Parks