Thread: Have a friend Heading to GSMNP this week

Default Have a friend Heading to GSMNP this week

Its been a few years since I fished the GSMNP but i remember it very well since I had fished it one week out of the year for like 10 years straight , but life has kept me away
    but with the recent fires etc and of course the dry spell of late july im a bit out of the loop. plus I havent been on the board here in a couple of years...sorry, just life I guess,
    I have a friend coming to the park this week they will be staying in the wears valley area but wants to fish the park, I told her to visit LRO and they can advise her, they always gave me excellent advice.
    She is fairly new to flyfishing and asked me for some places I would recommend...We live in Virginia and the SNP is at our back door, I recently guided her on the Shenandoah Natl Park for brookies and she did well. I told her it would be very similar fishing just with BIGGER ROCKS....lol.
    I thought the tremont on the middle prong of little river past the institute would be best for her and just follow the road ...but would like to hear from you all...dont think she will want to hike into the backcountry too much....also told her chimney tops would also be a good spot.
    also any suggestions on flies? drys? Nymphs? best ones to use this time of year?

What your all thoughts?

Thanks

Hey man. Truth is backcountry will be better fishing. Hike Lynn camp 2 miles up to Panther Creek Trail and fishing should be good for Brookies. Use a 16 stimulator or never sink. Green weenies are good as well. Keep fly powdered constantly so it stays floating.

Abrams Creek can be fished from the river right before the first ridge to the entrance which isn't too difficult to get access too. I always use a fly and drop a Bead head nymph 16 inches and we do the best in the park here.

Some of the easier ones are tremont, elkmont etc.

Greenbrier is a real nice stream. Drive about 10 minutes in and fish upstream.

Roaring Fork fished well from where mynet park is. It looks tiny and a waste of time but there are eager trout that take fly and or nymph. Tough to traverse though.

Hope this helps

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can walk up to the chimneys yet (legally)

Both chimney tops and road prong trails are closed. The stream along 441 is open.

Quote Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
    Both chimney tops and road prong trails are closed. The stream along 441 is open.
    Two weeks ago I asked a ranger in the park about it, and asked specifically about the trout in road prong.
    She told me they have already sampled the streams in the burned areas and they are fine, but all trails leading to Chimneytops will likely be closed until the finish any repairs/trail changes up there, to keep people out. They JUST started working on the tops.