Thread: Stable Tripod for in Shallow Water

Default Stable Tripod for in Shallow Water

Hey everyone, last time I was at LRO someone told me that there was a forum for all us fishing folk and I didn't believe him, but here I am.

I am going to be doing some stream fishing soon in a little secret spot of mine and I would like to try and get a time lapse of either me fishing or just the running water. I have a good weather sealed DSLR so the moisture splashing up is no worry. The thing I am worried about however is where I can balance this thing. The idea so far is to bring a heavy duty tripod, thrust it into the riverbed somewhere and hope it stays. I have looked into some tripods that supposedly are capable of this, but I really don't know. Does anyone here have experience with these kind of shots, or even experience with camera tripods as I have very little?

Any recommendations for brands, things to look for on the tripod or even a better idea for shooting the picture is more than welcome. Thanks for your time everyone

I took a look for a tripod like the one suggested below that can track you in the water, and while I didn't find exactly that one I did find some amazing DSLR tripods on https://www.for-sale.ie/dslr-tripod that have clamp brackets so you can use an external support system with it, wether that is something anchored in shore or something dug into the river. Taking it out this weekend, can't wait.
    Last edited by LittleRiverDan; 08-17-2017 at 03:46 AM.

Add some straps to each leg of the tripod and put rocks in the slings so that it helps hold them down. There is a pretty cool tripod that follows you with a motion tag. I cannot remember the brand name; but, it was super expensive the last time I looked it up. I use the gorilla type tripods with the flexible legs and put a rock on top the legs that I slightly bend out.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Well that sounds so simple it just might work! Thanks Shawn, I wasn't quite sure what I would have to do but I thought it would be a lot more complex, good to hear a simple option. I took a quick look for tracking tripods and it seems that most of them are for skywatching, but if I see a good one I will let you know!

I've used a Manfrotto tripod for those kind of things, as Shawn suggested, weight it down if you are setting it up in current & watch your back cast