Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anchor rigging for aluminum V-hull boat

Default anchor rigging for aluminum V-hull boat

Based on Shawn Madison's reasoned advocacy of aluminum V-hull boats, I bought one. How have people rigged their anchors? Fancy pulley systems or just drop it off the bow and tie off? All advice welcome.

Smctrout

I hope I have advised you well. Be mindful that these boats are great for down-flow access and getting around the river with a trolling motor. They are not designed to run rapids or to repeatedly hit rocks like a McKenzie style drift boat. The will sink if you were to hit something at speed or were pushed at an odd angle into an obstacle. That being said; they work great and focus on balancing your weight and removing every snag point you can think of inside. They will find them if you do not.

• I would buy an anchor davit from Walmart-anchor pulley system. It is cheap and you will need to modify it to hold up.

• Add and pulley in the loop and just clip the anchor on each time you venture out. You will need a strong piece of aluminum or stainless steel to mount the davit and get it over the bow. Always use the bow end and never anywhere else.

Notice that your anchor will ride on the pulley and the other end of the rope is tied to the bottom of the anchor davit. The creates a tackle and pulley setup and lowers the amount of effort it takes to lift the anchor and lower it. All you have to do is pull in the rope and lower it down to a side angle and it will lower the clasp and lock the anchor in place. Just lift it up and lower it with a smooth straight on approach to drop it again. You can change spots in just a few seconds without having to tie anything off. I usually only keep about 15-20' of rope or it just gets in the way. Hope this helps.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Shawn,
    Thanks for the advice. Already picked up the davit at the Gander Mountain going-out-of business sale, among other things. All I need is a pulley and something to mount the davit on.

SMCTrout

Default anchor rigging

Shawn,

What do you think of running the anchor rope through a carabiner attached to the bow eye so that the rope pulls the bow up instead of down?

SMCTrout

Quote Originally Posted by smctrout View Post
    Shawn,

What do you think of running the anchor rope through a carabiner attached to the bow eye so that the rope pulls the bow up instead of down?

SMCTrout

It is a similar layout; just a lower leverage point. The bow eye is a pain because your anchor will not be able to rest in the dry and will drag.

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 08-30-2017 at 06:01 AM.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    power

What are the specs on that wad-of-chain anchor?

It is just a long I-Bolt with equal loops of chain folding through it and a couple of large washers and and lock nut to hold it on. It works pretty good. I would cut the links in 2' sections or so and not leave any loops for snag points. I have found that just using one 3' section of large diameter chain link in a quick link carabiner works best by connecting it at the mid point and allowing it to fold. It is great for low-flow and slack water conditions. I can just drag it around with my trolling motor and re-position without having to raise it. Note, this rig works great for low-flow and slack water conditions. I have lost a few anchors trying to use it during generation drifts.
    power

How much should the 3-foot and wad-o-chain weigh each? Do you use the wad-o-chain in generation flows, or something else?

How much should the 3-foot and wad-o-chain weigh each?
    It should weigh enough to hold your boat in place on a windy day. The larger diameter chain I like to use weights about 10-12 lbs. The beauty of this rig is that it has a flexible footprint to allow the boat to move without having abrupt changes in tension of the line.
    Do you use the wad-o-chain in generation flows, or something else?
    The chain ball is a fun build, but I do not like to use bottom pulley during generation flows. I typically remove it and just do a straight drop to an anchor with an electrical tape release rig in case I get tangled (search this forum). It helps, but is not foolproof on the river. I still have not figured out the perfect anchor for a snag free drift.
    power

I bought 15 lbs. of 3/8 chain (about 11 feet) today, cut into approximately 3-foot lengths, which I have put on a quick-link. We'll see how it works. I have a 15-lb river anchor as well. I will look for the electrical tape release setup. Thanks for all your advice.