Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norris sluicing tomorrow?

They've been sluicing for the weekend rec schedule for the last couple months. Although they don't update the cfs flow right that second, it does after a couple hours I've noticed. Saturday I was there when they sluiced and it took them till 4 to update their app. But who knows.

Here's the link for a little better "guide" https://www.tva.gov/file_source/TVA/...20Calendar.pdf

Well during the no generation time on monday they definitely weren't sluicing and from speaking to others there atleast during the zero generation times they were not sluicing all weekend

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiffleman View Post
    Right!!! Who knows what TVA is going to put out for the flow on the Clinch? Have been last two Sundays expecting 1 generator flow till midnight. Arrive at 230pm and in an hour its blown out at 6000+cfs. The web and the app indicate the same but not actually what is happening...yes I know it clearly states that it can change without notice...but this seems to be becoming SOP for TVA. I would not waste my time going with good information that the flow is changing at 3pm.
    With the rec schedule pretty much anywhere on the river it's coming up in 5 hours. Tva isn't changing the schedule you just need to learn the flow charts a little more so you have more time to fish

3 weight: fishing was Pretty good had like 10-12 fisherman so it was pretty wild haha. I actually was able to wet wade the river for the first time, it was 60 degrees both mornings before the water came up. Had some guys fly casting and some bait fishing and once the water came up we all jumped into motor boats and fished. Almost everyone caught one or two at some point and a couple guys caught several. All 3 species showed up (Brooks tiny as usual) and most were small to medium with a couple 17-18" nicer sized ones

Just saw all the other replies, we were staying at a house on the river all weekend and the water level was lower than a whales belly until noon each day. You could stand on the deck and see every rock all the way across. They don't sluice during the "recreation" flow. Rec flow just means big water doesn't start until after 2 pm. Generators or sluice, doesn't matter they just won't pump hard until 2. they do it I assume to allow people to wade fish in the morning aka "recreation." Minimum flow until 10 am, one generator from 10-2, big water after 2.

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    With the rec schedule pretty much anywhere on the river it's coming up in 5 hours. Tva isn't changing the schedule you just need to learn the flow charts a little more so you have more time to fish
    The app does not have a link to the rec schedule from inside it and I don't take my computer on my boat! I know full well how long the flows take from point to point on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Just saw all the other replies, we were staying at a house on the river all weekend and the water level was lower than a whales belly until noon each day. You could stand on the deck and see every rock all the way across. They don't sluice during the "recreation" flow. Rec flow just means big water doesn't start until after 2 pm. Generators or sluice, doesn't matter they just won't pump hard until 2. they do it I assume to allow people to wade fish in the morning aka "recreation." Minimum flow until 10 am, one generator from 10-2, big water after 2.
    I have an email from the Lead Engineer at Norris stating that they are down a generator so they are sluicing to make up for the out flow after the 1 generator timeframe. Seems like there is always more trash in the water when they are sluicing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiffleman View Post
    The app does not have a link to the rec schedule from inside it and I don't take my computer on my boat! I know full well how long the flows take from point to point on the river.
    Rec schedules are no generators until 10 am every weekend unless a heavy rain event occurs.

Water will always be at millers in about an hour, about 2 hours to Peach orchard, 3 hours to coldwater farms, and about 4.5 hours to the jail. This has been this way since the weir was built 30 years ago. So at 2:30 pm no matter where you are on the river above 61 bridge the water will be up or coming up. Rec schedules has been around for at least 5 years now.

I am all for bashing TVA for their many faults, but they generally stick to the posted schedule. I can count on one hand the number of times they haven't in 30+ years fishing the Clinch or any other tailwaters.

The sluicing is only occurring to replace the lost flow of the second unit being offline.