Thread: Eagle Creek Advice

Default Eagle Creek Advice

Going to Eagle Creek this year for the annual fishing trip. Trying to pick between Big Walnut and Eagle Creek Island for our site. Are there springs to get water from (like on Hazel) near these two sites? Also, which makes the best fish camp? I am a little concerned about setting up camp on an island if it rains. How big a concern is this? Thanks in advance for the help.

Either one would be OK. My preference would be the island. I don't think you need to worry about the island flooding. The island is fairly large and well above the high water mark. Also once you pass the island there are several wet crossings and the water on the upper end gets small quick. Best I can remember you won't have any problem finding water. I rarely drink any water that I don't filter or treat though. Most of the time I just get it from the river. I use one of those low tech MSR gravity filters that will knock out 4 liters in just minutes. Lower Ekaneetlee is also a good camp, plus Ekaneetlee CK fishes OK when there is some water in it. Read Byron's/Daniel's fishing report before you go, they are usually "money" on water levels and flies to use.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Thanks Flyman. We've been on Hazel when there was a "rain event" and would have been in trouble if we were on an island. I was also concerned about the stream getting small at the upper site. I have a filter but do like the spring water sites on Hazel. I'd like to avoid the horses so we aren't staying at Ekaneetlee.

Lakeshore trail turns toward hazel creek before reaching ekaneetlee creek. If there are horses in that camp, they aren't supposed to be there. I wouldn't worry about staying at ekaneetlee except it is the busiest of the three on the trail, not counting lost cove. And I'd be more concerned about stream crossings during a rain event than the island flooding. I've booked the island twice only to be met by 2+ inches of rain forecasted and had to cancel rather than try my luck.
    Last edited by 77punk; 09-07-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks for the info. I am keeping my fingers crossed about the forecast. When you say you wouldn't worry about staying at ekaneetlee do you mean you don't recommend it or that you do, it is just busy?

Ekaneetlee is busier than the island or big walnut (think that name's right, don't have a map with me) Otherwise I don't think it's a bad spot.