Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout?

Default Trout?

Have been busy with work this summer and haven't been out much, but tried to make up for it this past weekend. Hiked and fished Sat and Sun in the park, few fish but great time with the wife getting some much needed exercise. Sunday on the way back home she says "where are we going tomorrow?" Think she's hooked! So we made plans for Calderwood the next morning, this would be the first time for us to visit this beautiful spot. Had read a lot about SR creek and was excited to finally get the opportunity to go explore it. Paddle down in the canoe was great and found the cove to have water due to generation. We grabbed our gear and started up the trail, then I remembered all the rattlesnake stories about this area, so we slowed it down a notch. About 200yds up the creek we came upon a camp and noticed a rod tube leaning against a tree, so we decided to hike on up above the falls as to not disturb the lower section. We never had a take, not even a shiner. Matter of fact, we never even saw any fish spook the whole time on the stream. So........ have any of you guys noticed a change in this stream over the years? Just seemed to be void of any fish.

I only fished that creek once several years ago hiking in from above and it was void of fish then also. Had a buddy camp somewhere a little different this summer and he caught a couple shiners and one tiny rainbow. Over the course of an entire weekend

Yep. I didn't land a single trout above the falls this year. It's a tough stream on a normal day, but I think last years drought hit them hard. It will recover in time. You should have tried below the falls as well, I've always found it worth the effort.

I was thinking that the drought might have been a major contributor to what we witnessed. As far as the lower end goes, I simply hate to step on the toes of another, thus the hike on up. Never did see anyone or any wet rocks past there camp, going up or coming back down and they had broke camp and left when we came back through. Lower section looked good though.

Ok I misunderstood the camp and rod tube part. Don't blame ya for not steppin on toes, might have even saved your own.

That place is always an adventure. Not always fun, but definitely a story to tell when you get home. The great thing is it is in a wilderness area. Also the bad thing is it's in a wilderness area. Since you paddled in and hiked from the mouth up you missed all the downed trees along the lakeshore.

I hiked in years ago 3 or 4 times. We always hiked in from the middle and upper sections.The only reason I went the the last couple of times was because it was so beautiful and isolated. I never did catch enough fish to justify the effort. Not only that, I've never talked to anyone that has had a good trip fishing wise. I'd like to hear everyone else's experience. Maybe it's just prone to flooding and drought to the extent that it damages the aquatic invertebrates and trout?
    Last edited by flyman; 09-11-2017 at 07:32 PM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I used to fish it pretty often in the late 70's, early 80's. I never really did big numbers but loved the beautiful wild Browns. There were times it seemed like there were no fish in the river, lol but they were there. I really think Fall was always the best for me, seemed like the fish would be out pre spawn & visible. My last trip in was probably 2000 was the best. Beautiful fall day, hiked in solo from the lake, water was pretty low. I pulled up fish in almost every pool above the lower falls using a black humpy with no tail as a beetle imitation. it was really a magical day, probably caught 15-20 fish.
    i haven't been back since, maybe it's for the best. SR was one of the first streams I fished & camped at as a child & has always been special to me. Holds some great memories.
    i remember reading that biologists had done studies after a drought years back & said that it had been devastating to the fish population. I don't know if there has been recovery, it breaks my heart to think of it as an empty stream.
    I do know that I have made trips in there prior to that great visit when I got blanked & not seen a fish. It has always fished tough, spooky fish that demand your best but I have seen it alive with visible fish up to 20 inches, good hatches, etc just had to be there at the right time. Maybe time for another visit, see for myself, then again maybe I should just keep the memory of an unspoiled time.

I fished it 3-4 times in the same time frame as you...late 70's early 80's. It fished well for us back then. I hate to hear that it's devoid of fish...that place is/was beautiful.

It's not devoid of fish. Maybe took a beating but droughts happen and trout are resilient.

After seeing pics of Tellico last summer, I have no doubt that it really had an impact on some of the mountain streams. It was worth the trip just to get out and explore another new stream for us, very beautiful place, I can only imagine the colors in the fall.