Thread: How long can I wet leg

Default How long can I wet leg

I am going on a back country trip for 4 days next weekend. I would rather not take my waders. Temps at Fontana dam (going to eagle creek) at their coldest are going to be in the upper 49s. Opinions on if I should take the waders or not?

I personally wouldn't, but if I took anything it would be a pair of "Hippies". Could use early morning and they would weigh a lot less for backpacking. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by lexfly View Post
    I am going on a back country trip for 4 days next weekend. I would rather not take my waders. Temps at Fontana dam (going to eagle creek) at their coldest are going to be in the upper 49s. Opinions on if I should take the waders or not?
    i will wet Wade in the Smokies well into November, usually. Unless there is a cold snap.

Remember the rule of 100. Add the ambient temp with the water temp and if it equals 100 or more, wet wading should be good to go. There are exceptions, I don't care what the air temp is on the Clinch, you better wear waders. The Smokies are more forgiving IMHO due to being in and out of the water as opposed to standing all day long in a tailwaters up to your ........

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    i will wet Wade in the Smokies well into November, usually. Unless there is a cold snap.

Remember the rule of 100. Add the ambient temp with the water temp and if it equals 100 or more, wet wading should be good to go. There are exceptions, I don't care what the air temp is on the Clinch, you better wear waders. The Smokies are more forgiving IMHO due to being in and out of the water as opposed to standing all day long in a tailwaters up to your ........
    That is funny...It is amazing how cold the ole Clinch can make you feel. It will sneak up on you. Interesting tip.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Get some neoprene socks and you can wet wade all year!!

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have some neoprene socks so it looks like no waders this year. Going to enjoy the lighter pack.

Some people have a higher aversion to cold water than others. Know thyself. If you have some high neoprene socks, you may be able to get by. Personally, I would bring the waders if temperatures will be below the low 50s. Cold water temperatures can ruin a trip for a wet wader. Why risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    Remember the rule of 100. Add the ambient temp with the water temp and if it equals 100 or more, wet wading should be good to go.
    I've never heard that rule before, that's awesome, thanks!
    “A man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.”
    A man called Boomer