Thread: Clinch Monday September 25

Default Clinch Monday September 25

The Clinch was fishing well this morning. Had numerous hook-ups of 12" plus size rainbows on a size 18 Frenchy, tied on a jig hook. This was my first outing on the Clinch this fall and did not expect to have this much success.

What section were you fishing?

I was fishing at Millers Island. There were no hatches occurring, and very little surface activity. Fished nymphs as deep as possible on 10 foot leader plus 3 foot fluorocarbon tippet. Water seemed much warmer than usual. Tried to land quickly or shake off before netting (I use barbless hooks) to avoid stressing fish.

I was at the jail and only caught a few in the morning. I had the same impression as you about the water temp. I was fishing midges.

I actually wet waded for the first time in my life on the clinch around Labor Day. Water temp was 60

Fished again today (September 27) around Millers Island. Conditions were more difficult - bright sun and clear water. Had some success catching several nice size browns on a size 20 soft hackle and a handful of rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by JHS View Post
    Fished again today (September 27) around Millers Island. Conditions were more difficult - bright sun and clear water. Had some success catching several nice size browns on a size 20 soft hackle and a handful of rainbows.

Throw some hook size #14 soft hackles on a 9-10' rig sideways in to riffles and downstream. Slow bump them a couple of inches at the reel for action. There are some beasts in surprising places.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”