Thread: full tie or partial

Default full tie or partial

tying up a bunch of BHPT , size 12 -18 for a trip to GSNP in 2 weeks , seeing a lot of videos on you tube where
    the legs and casing are being left out , how do you tie ? are these parts needed in your opinion?

For the smaller BHPTs, I don't tie legs and casings, just wrap with pheasant tail fibers. On larger ones, I like the look with casings and legs.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

I tie them both ways. I think the wing case is more important than the legs. Mayfly nymphs and caddis pupa have dark wing cases right before they hatch. I have started using a dark brown or black wing case on most of my nymph patterns. I use a black feather slip or some synthetic material like Thin Skin in dark brown or black. The small legless version with a hot spot called Frenchies are another good alternative. Some of the though behind how and why I tie mine the way I do is because of the original PT ( Frank Sawyer's) was tied using only copper wire and Pheasant tail fibers, no legs. Sawyer didn't think the legs were important because he though the nymph folded it's legs along it's body when it swam. It wasn't until Al Troth tied his version (The American PT) that Peacock and legs were added. I also like to add rubber legs and a soft hackle to the standard nymph.
    Last edited by flyman; 09-29-2017 at 02:21 AM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I've been using just some buggy synthetic dubbing under the wing case, slightly pick or brush the fibers out and them trim them to desired length. It looks pretty decent wet and it gives you a quick and easy set of legs.

tied my flies , got to the park for a week and have some results . first I landed nothing on the size 12 and 14 , not saying I did not get hits just did not catch anything , the 16s and 18s were very effective. It did not seem to matter with or with out legs they caught the majority of my fish for the week. the 18s having the best results , thanks for the input, it gave me confidence to try both ways and confidence in a offering is sometimes all the difference between success and failure.

I would assume a trout will eat a bug with legs and really eat a bug without legs. Carnivores seek out the weakest prey items