Thread: back country site 18? or somewhere else?

Question back country site 18? or somewhere else?

I am thinking about making my first trip into the back country. Ever. I have been slowly purchasing gear and I have been camping in the back yard and Im comfortable with my camping gear. I love the Townsend area and I am very familiar with Tremont so 18 seems a logical choice for my first trip. It will only be an over nighter, at least for my first trip. Do you guys reccommend 18 for my first trip? or somewhere else?

thanks in advance,
    hNt

PS As far as fishing goes,I prefer going after brookies, which is one reason I question 18. It's my understanding that the west prong has more rainbows than anything else? but I have to admit I am a little more comfortable with the idea of 18. Just because I know the area I guess. thanks again
    A man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.
    A man called Boomer

In the present conditions, the west Prong is low, very low. Pretty much a trickle.

I failed to mention, I will also be going solo. which I guess is one reason I liked 18, just because I'm more familiar with the surrounding area. I'm thinking it'll be sometime in November so hopefully conditions will be better by then. thanks again.
    A man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.
    A man called Boomer

#18 is a fine site. My son's first backcountry trip was there. I've stayed there at least a dozen times. There won't be brookies there, a lot of small eager rainbows though. Familiarity can be a concern, definitely on the first trip, particularly alone. I'd get lost a lot easier in that area than what's above Elkmont, following the river down is a lot easier. #24 will be a slightly longer hike but much easier, some brookies are there. If you go up to #23, it is great Brookie fishing and again an easy and beautiful hike.

One thing that helps me to be more comfortable going solo is thorough navigation geekery.
    I carry the Trails Illustrated #229 and/or #316/#317
    I carry JoeFred's maps for the area I'm travelling
    I use Avenza Maps app with the full park USGS quad pack installed, additionally the electronic versions of Trail Illustrated #316 and #317.
    I use the Gaia GPS app and pre-cache the park map to zoom level #15. Can get some good stats about your hike with it.

I also replaced my SPOT connect device with an ACR ResQLink device this year. Having an OH SH|T button never hurts.

Your nights in the backcountry will be wonderful at whichever site you pick. (except for horse sites and #21, SH|T holes IMHO).

The avenza app with the trails illustrated maps has worked great for me. I’ve done a lot of off trail stuff with smoky mountain hiking club and avenza has always been reliable.