Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggest leader and flies for this weekend?

Default Suggest leader and flies for this weekend?

So now that I have the license issue straightened out, what flies do you all suggest for chasing Brookies on Tremont area? Also, I know that water may still be somewhat low and trout may be spook, so what length leader and what size tippet for this time of the year (I usually tie up my own with clear Maxima)?
    Thanks,
    Jed
    Bamboo flyrods, old four wheel drives, small streams
    "I will make you fishers of men"- Christ
    email: dawgvet2003(at)yahoo(dot)com

Yellow and orange stimulators.
    #16 Yellow neversink caddis
    Beetle and Ant patterns

For nymph/droppers:
    green and pink weenies
    bh pheasant tail
    tellico nymph

Those are a few that have been working for me in the Smokies and WNC and even VA.

For tippet I use 6x. I also use furled leaders. Usually a 4-5 ft. furled leader with 2 1/2-3 feet of 6x tippet. I fish rods of 7 1/2 to 9 feet. Both 3 and 4 weights. My go to rod is a 3 weight 8'9".

advice above looks good to me, just a note though tremont will likely not have any brookies, you will have to go higher to get into any brook trout. Lynn camp prolly still fishing well though if you want a brookie.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't mean Tremont proper but some of the feeders like Lynn Camp and others.

Do you all feel 6x is needed for Brookies? I've never went that fine for Specks before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgvet View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't mean Tremont proper but some of the feeders like Lynn Camp and others.

Do you all feel 6x is needed for Brookies? I've never went that fine for Specks before.
    To clarify, I use 6x flouro which is a bit stronger than nylon. I have also had brookies "stare" at my fly and my take was they were seeing the tippet. For Smokies brookies 6x works just fine IMHO. Being as they are not that large, I have broken hooks before tippet.

I fished Lynn camp today , caught all my fish on a. #18 bhpt . Just a warning , I saw 16 other fishermen/women plus guides in a short time and passed more heading up as I was leaving

As mentioned above. Fished the NC side yesterday, orange worked well and everything popping off the water was a little darker. fwiw

[IMG] [/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

This is a 10" brookie I caught on 6x tippet a couple of weeks ago on the Rapidan in the SNP. I caught another that was 11". Those are bigger than what you most likely will catch in the Smokies as these are the northern strain and tend to be larger.

6x did just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgvet View Post

Almost always 5x for me except 6x on droppers.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I've never had any luck with Stimulators here. What size do you use?

Love the neversinks but the Stimulators will float a bigger dropper.