Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing Boots

Quote Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
    Yes Ducky, I don't follow LNT on rocks..
    Yea I hate the scratch marks in the wilderness. I'm no LNT Nazi, but do try to give the upmost care.

Matt I know your a gear head and since you won't get a chance to wear those boots down here soon, I have an idea.

Just put them on and run throughout your yard! No need to hire a landscape guy for aeration, just show your wife the receipts for your gear purchases and she will chase you. When she gets tired and stops, remind her you just saved her $120 for aeration and she will chase you throughout the back yard as well. Hopefully you won't require hitting the emergency button on your ACS
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

I finally have to shop for new wading boots as well. The synthetic leather at the top of one boot ripped this year when pulling boots on. The seam thread is disintegrating in places on uppers although boots still are holding together. These Borger boots were bought around 1995... I got the cleated felt because I used to fish Abrams Creek a lot back then. The felt still has decent thickness and these things still grip slick rocks very well. I took 10 years off fishing (Wade fishing anyway) so probably about 6 years of 100+ trips/year and 6 years of 50+ trips/year. The first 3-4 years was mostly GSMNP and rest mostly tailwaters. Great ankle support, comfortable, unbelievable durability, great traction. Only gripe is they weigh a fricking ton. Helps with stability in current but I weigh 250lbs + so I'm not getting washed away anytime soon. I'm really not wanting to spend over $100 but these boots were the best you could buy at the time I bought them and I think I got my money's worth. Makes me think I should learn from experience and buy some top line boots again.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneflylama72 View Post
    I finally have to shop for new wading boots as well. The synthetic leather at the top of one boot ripped this year when pulling boots on. The seam thread is disintegrating in places on uppers although boots still are holding together. These Borger boots were bought around 1995... I got the cleated felt because I used to fish Abrams Creek a lot back then. The felt still has decent thickness and these things still grip slick rocks very well. I took 10 years off fishing (Wade fishing anyway) so probably about 6 years of 100+ trips/year and 6 years of 50+ trips/year. The first 3-4 years was mostly GSMNP and rest mostly tailwaters. Great ankle support, comfortable, unbelievable durability, great traction. Only gripe is they weigh a fricking ton. Helps with stability in current but I weigh 250lbs + so I'm not getting washed away anytime soon. I'm really not wanting to spend over $100 but these boots were the best you could buy at the time I bought them and I think I got my money's worth. Makes me think I should learn from experience and buy some top line boots again.
    I would agree that you got your money worth in those boots. Especially fishing Abrams Creek and making it out in one piece.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

After using lace up boots for a long time, I decided to buy a boot with a BOA lacing system and purchased a pair of Korkers on a closeout deal. After using them for a year, I liked the ease of putting them on and off. I wore out those Korkers that year and thought about buying a different brand. After reading reviews of the newer Korkers, I purchased the Devils Canyon boot and it has held up well over 2 years in fishing tailgaters and mountains. My only complaint about them is the ankle support is not very strong. If buying today, I would purchase the Darkhorse model, which has strong ankle support. I like the adaptability of the Korker soles. I recently purchased the aluminum trac soles for a trip out west and cannot wait to try them out. You also might check out the new rear entry model if price is not an consideration.

If you are not set on a BOA system, I agree with others that the Simms boots currently on sale are a great deal. I am considering buying a pair as a backup boot.

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    I would buy the Simms G3 boots (~$130-185/pair). I have gone through two-pair and I fish about 100 days a year on them. So far; I am getting about two-years out of them before the felt sole is completely worn down. Gone through several shoe laces; but, they are solid.

Call or email Daniel at LRO and he can order the size if he does not have in stock. Very easy and fast turnaround.

How well do the boots hold up? My main problem is with the boots coming unstitched, mostly around the toes.

Jim