Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Colorado Flyfishing Trip

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21

    Default Colorado Flyfishing Trip

    Hey guys

    Iíve been researching for months and there is really a lot of good areas so itís making it tough to really choose. Maybe yíall can help me out.

    Iím planning to go with friends to fly fish for trout in Mid September ( from what I read this is the best month but again i could be wrong input would be a great help).

    Between chessman canyon, south platte, Rocky Mountain National Park, 4 mile creek, 11 mile canyon itís tough to pin one down.

    We know the trout there a lot bigger than the Smokies so we are not worried about catching huge trout. We would like an area where We would catch a lot of trout rather than one where we would have to work hard just to catch large trout.

    We would like to fish in streams that are wadeable where we can walk through the streams and we will float one day with a guide on a tail water or bigger river.

    I know this is a lot but do yíall have any suggestions on spots and time of year?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Crossville, TN
    Posts
    2,414

    Default

    First and foremost, all of those Front Range streams will have a lot more crowds than if you look west of the divide. Also, there are not float trips available on any of those rivers. You would need to look at the Colorado River, North Platte, etc. if you want to do a float.

    As far as catching a lot of trout, the larger "famous" rivers are going to be a lot more technical so hiring a guide for a walk/wade trip early on will help you catch fish throughout the trip. Most all of the "famous" streams will be tougher in terms of numbers of fish just because they receive so much pressure. The Arkansas River is probably an exception because it is such a big river with tons of access. If you want a guide on the South Platte or Arkansas River, see if you can book Juan Ramirez (http://hopperjuan.blogspot.com). For numbers of fish, some of the smaller streams and perhaps lakes of RMNP will offer much better fishing but generally smaller fish. I like the North Fork of the St. Vrain in Wild Basin. It is a small stream and will fish a lot like a Smoky Mountain stream. The Big Thompson up the trail towards Forest Canyon will fish good also as would Glacier Creek. This is all assuming it hasn't gotten too cold by the time of your trip.

    Some of the streams west of the divide will fish really well that time of year as well. In particular, the famous tailwaters of the Taylor and Frying Pan should have good hatches and good dry fly fishing, but the fishing will be really technical. The South Platte is always good but like I said it will get quite crowded since it is so close to Denver compared to other options. Rocky Mountain NP can also feel crowded sometimes...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

    Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog
    contact: TroutZoneAnglers at gmail dot com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
    First and foremost, all of those Front Range streams will have a lot more crowds than if you look west of the divide. Also, there are not float trips available on any of those rivers. You would need to look at the Colorado River, North Platte, etc. if you want to do a float.

    As far as catching a lot of trout, the larger "famous" rivers are going to be a lot more technical so hiring a guide for a walk/wade trip early on will help you catch fish throughout the trip. Most all of the "famous" streams will be tougher in terms of numbers of fish just because they receive so much pressure. The Arkansas River is probably an exception because it is such a big river with tons of access. If you want a guide on the South Platte or Arkansas River, see if you can book Juan Ramirez (http://hopperjuan.blogspot.com). For numbers of fish, some of the smaller streams and perhaps lakes of RMNP will offer much better fishing but generally smaller fish. I like the North Fork of the St. Vrain in Wild Basin. It is a small stream and will fish a lot like a Smoky Mountain stream. The Big Thompson up the trail towards Forest Canyon will fish good also as would Glacier Creek. This is all assuming it hasn't gotten too cold by the time of your trip.

    Some of the streams west of the divide will fish really well that time of year as well. In particular, the famous tailwaters of the Taylor and Frying Pan should have good hatches and good dry fly fishing, but the fishing will be really technical. The South Platte is always good but like I said it will get quite crowded since it is so close to Denver compared to other options. Rocky Mountain NP can also feel crowded sometimes...
    Lots of great info thanks man!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21

    Default

    What about cascade and twin creek? I read some good things about those areas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norris, TN
    Posts
    2,172

    Post Great post and help David!

    Quote Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
    First and foremost, all of those Front Range streams will have a lot more crowds than if you look west of the divide. Also, there are not float trips available on any of those rivers. You would need to look at the Colorado River, North Platte, etc. if you want to do a float.

    As far as catching a lot of trout, the larger "famous" rivers are going to be a lot more technical so hiring a guide for a walk/wade trip early on will help you catch fish throughout the trip. Most all of the "famous" streams will be tougher in terms of numbers of fish just because they receive so much pressure. The Arkansas River is probably an exception because it is such a big river with tons of access. If you want a guide on the South Platte or Arkansas River, see if you can book Juan Ramirez (http://hopperjuan.blogspot.com). For numbers of fish, some of the smaller streams and perhaps lakes of RMNP will offer much better fishing but generally smaller fish. I like the North Fork of the St. Vrain in Wild Basin. It is a small stream and will fish a lot like a Smoky Mountain stream. The Big Thompson up the trail towards Forest Canyon will fish good also as would Glacier Creek. This is all assuming it hasn't gotten too cold by the time of your trip.

    Some of the streams west of the divide will fish really well that time of year as well. In particular, the famous tailwaters of the Taylor and Frying Pan should have good hatches and good dry fly fishing, but the fishing will be really technical. The South Platte is always good but like I said it will get quite crowded since it is so close to Denver compared to other options. Rocky Mountain NP can also feel crowded sometimes...
    David,
    That is a great reply and very good information. Thanks for being a great fellow fly-fisherman, steward, and kind person!
    ďEvery human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Yea thanks again David. I looked into those spots and it just confirmed what you already said it really narrowed it down for me

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Crossville, TN
    Posts
    2,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GSM Bigfoot View Post
    What about cascade and twin creek? I read some good things about those areas
    Sorry, I cannot help with those streams unfortunately.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

    Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog
    contact: TroutZoneAnglers at gmail dot com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Hey guys

    Looks like will be fishing the San Juan area.

    We are renting a cabin on the river in Pagosa Springs. We will get a guide for a float and maybe a wade.

    Please recommend any good spots in the Pagosa area or close by.

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I was in SW CO mid-Sept. 2017. Had the best 5 consecutive days of fishing in my life and I've fly fished for almost thirty years. Call me and I will tell you what I know. 865-679-4683

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Bayou La Batre, Alabama
    Posts
    8

    Default

    How was your trip? I cancelled a trip to the SJ around that time due to the restoration work being done on the river below Navajo dam. Glad I did. Couple guys I knew went and report was dismal. Caught a few nice fish but few and far in-between.
    Opted to go further west to Flaming Gorge. Paid off. Water and weather were great and fishing was fantastic.

    If you go back, Deckers is always crowded but the fishing is great if you can find a spot. 11 Mile Canyon in the catch and release only section is phenomenal. As is Dream stream on the upper side of the reservoir. If you can time it to get to the Dream Stream when the kokanee first start moving upstream to spawn it can be tons of fun. If you wait too long then the river gets so stacked with salmon that it pushes the trout in to the upper reservoir and you end up snagging a lot of salmon. Trying to drag a fowl hooked kokanee through the current ain't much fun.

    Steamboat Springs can be a lot of fun. Move upstream or downstream of town. You'll catch fish in town, but you'll catch better fish if you get a mile or so out of town. Also look at Elk River.

    Blue River and the Colorado up around Kremmling and between Kremmling and Sulfur Springs is good fishing too. If you're flying in to Denver I'd opt to make the extra 3 or so hour drive north to WY and fish the North Platte. From Encampment all the way up to Casper is great fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by GSM Bigfoot View Post
    Hey guys

    Looks like will be fishing the San Juan area.

    We are renting a cabin on the river in Pagosa Springs. We will get a guide for a float and maybe a wade.

    Please recommend any good spots in the Pagosa area or close by.

    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •