Thread: Best time in the spring to plan a trip?

Default Best time in the spring to plan a trip?

I'm looking for recommendations on the best time next spring to plan a trip.
    Any experiences from anyone who was too early or too late for the spring peak in the past to help me bracket in some dates? I realize this varies by a few weeks each year, but just trying to lock in a week on my calendar so I can set aside the time.
    Thanks!
    -Ron

It can vary by days or weeks depending on weather.

I fish the park year round, but if I had to pick one month to set aside as the time I think all the variables line up right, I would say May. I have seen some pretty good cold snaps in April and some hotter , drier weather in June. So to average it, I vote for May. I am sure others will have their "best" times, but that's mine.

I agree that the weather can really vary from year to year. That said, I like the last two weeks of April and the first two weeks of May. If I could only pick one week, it would probably be the last week in April. The ideal plan, however, is to start fishing the first hatches in late February and stay all the way through June... 😃

I like David's dates for several reasons. Water temps and levels are usually good. The best hatches should be in full swing (March Browns, Hendricksons, Cahills, Yellow Stoneflies, and mother's day caddis ), wildflowers should be blooming, and most kids aren't out of school yet. I think I would also want the moon phases in my favor. I'd be looking at the weeks on either side of a new moon. I am convinced moon phases affect fishing
    Last edited by flyman; 11-29-2017 at 03:27 AM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

May for me as well.

Like you mentioned the peak does vary but anywhere from the last week in April to the first week in June is a good bet.

The end of April would be a good time as the "Bamboo Bash" takes place at this time. Interesting meetings and demonstrations on various subjects relating to bamboo fly rods will be held at Little River Outfitters. I believe their head quarters will be at Docks Cabins. You can always contact me through pm's as it gets closer if you have any questions.
    Joe

Thanks for all the tips. I was thinking about March, but with this info, I'll shoot for April instead. The new moon is on the 15th, so that could help to be within a week either way.

March can be very hit or miss. There is also a lot of difference usually between early and late March. April and May are much safer as far as weather variables go.