Thread: Fun on the Carolina Side (Pic Heavy)

Default Fun on the Carolina Side (Pic Heavy)

Although I have fished the Park a little less than I would like to admit this Fall and early Winter, I have spent some time over the last few weeks fishing a well-known C&R stream over on the Carolina side. The stream is known to hold some pretty large fish, although oftentimes very stubborn due to the immense amount of pressure it receives. I have found streamer fishing various sculpin imitations (and who can forget the "world-famous" Taqueely) to be extremely effective. Additionally, your bright, flashy nymph imitations and "junk files" are deadly as well. Presentation is absolutely paramount in this stream, and attention to detail has been a definite key to my good fortunes. I have been blessed and fortunate to catch some very nice fish over this time. Here is a recap of some of the action.....

For starters, a 22 bow that I hooked in some very fast pocket water. 10+ minute battle to land this big beauty. Incredible fish.

Some other solid bows. Lots of 18-20" fish in here.

Now to the BIG BROOKIES!!! Can't beat catching 20+ specs on streamers....

Another angle

Look at this colored up FOOTBALL....talk about a disproportionate build!

Alligator-mouthed brook trout

In summary, it has been enjoyable to fish new water the last few weeks and connect with some nice fish while deploying some new techniques and applications. The focus now begins to shift back to post-spawn browns in the Park. In the meantime, I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and some great time on the water. Tight Lines.

-Chase Turner

What did you catch them on Chase? Night crawlers or corn? Those are some real beast. All of those fish are meat eaters. I bet you could get those big boys to eat streamers. Bad weather/weekday still a good choice?
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    What did you catch them on Chase? Night crawlers or corn? Those are some real beast. All of those fish are meat eaters. I bet you could get those big boys to eat streamers. Bad weather/weekday still a good choice?
    Yes sir., been catching about 60% of the big boys on sculpin patterns honestly. Lately they have been keying in on sz 20-22 midges and rainbow warriors. Winter fishing is in full swing no doubt.

Here’s an example of a fish that ate a size 20 rainbow warrior this last weekend. Lost another similar to this fish not 5 minutes after this one. This particular pool had been fished by 3 guys the entire day. Midges and other small stuff is the key right now!