Thread: Clinch river question

Default Clinch river question

Hey guys and gals. I’m from Winston Salem nc. My wife grew up in Knoxville. Every Christmas we go to the inlaws for a week. I usually fish the Smokey’s while where there (because my nc trout stamp covers both sides of the park) but this year I’ve been wondering about fishing the clinch because it is closer to there home in fountain city. My question is about the water release from Norris dam. Does it have a pattern? Night time release or afternoon or morning? I will be wading this is why I ask. Thanks Wes Motsinger

There is a free app available for smart phones and tablets from TVA with all of their releases, elevations, etc.

check it out.

Thank you so much for the answer to finding the app. This is absolutely what I was looking for. Hope you have a blessed Christmas.

Here’s a link to the drain down times at various access points. You’ll need to consider that along with the release info from the app. Good luck and stay safe.
    -:- Todd Baker
    -:- Former Coloradoan with Appalachian roots and saltwater aspirations.
    -:- https://www.instagram.com/technowannabe/

Thank you for the info on the drain down times.

Be mindful of the generation schedule and your situational awareness on tailwaters if you are wading. The rise and power of the river can be very sobering and is easily misjudged. I have pushed it before and scared myself. Try to work your way towards the bank about 30 minutes before generation if you are within 1-2 miles of the dam. I recommend getting out at-least 15 minutes before generation. This will give you a slight cushion in case you need it.

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Good advice and also be aware, the schedule can change.

I try to identify and landmark in or near the water and reference it throughout my wading time and periodically glance at it to see if in fact the water is coming up out of schedule.