Thread: New Hardy Shadow 6 weight

Default New Hardy Shadow 6 weight

I recently purchased a brand new Hardy Shadow 9í6Ē 6 weight on a FB group page. The rod normally retails for $380 but I snagged it for $139. This rod will be used as a backup while I send my Orvis Hydros 6 weight out for repair of a cracked ferrule. Itís hard to find any real reviews from the rod, considering itís a 2015 Model. I will be using it primarily as a heavy nymphing rod on some trophy waters more than likely. I guess it was one of those deals I just couldnít pass up, and Iíve always wanted to cast a Hardy. Any feedback or input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thoughts?

Feedback: you got a good deal. I know nothing of the rod, hope someone chimes in about it. I've cast & fished a few over the years & have several of their reels. I think they're highly overlooked in today's market. Have you cast it, wondering what the action(flex) is on the rod?

Grumpy

The Hardy Shadows are on closeout because a new model is being released in 2018 with Hardy's "Sintrix" technology. While I do not own a Shadow rod, I suspect they fish a lot like other entry level Hardy Rods - Uniqua and Marksman, which I have fished, and earlier Greys (when Hardy produced them). If that is the case, then they are a medium fast rod that cast fairly easily. I really love 2 of my older Greys -a 9'6" 7 weight and a 9' 5 weight. The 7 wt. is my favorite rod for summer steelhead fishing in Oregon. In any event, given the price you paid and the quality of Hardy rod, you got a great deal. Keep us posted on its performance.

Thanks so much for the feedback guys. I did research on it a little bit before I pulled the trigger and from what I gathered, JHS hit on it pretty well. Itís a medium-fast to fast action rod. For the price I paid I really didnít care as much as usual lol. Iím pretty partial to my 9í Hydros for a 6 weight, but this rod should serve as an extra quite admirably. Look forward to fishing it next week.