Thread: Fly tying kit

Default Fly tying kit

Anyone ever put together a small light weight kit to put in their daypack or backpack for backcountry trip? Just something to tie a few flies around camp. If so, what did you include in it?

My kit is small enough for car camping but not small enough for a backpack but could easily be downsized enough for a backpack. I'll do a full run down today and post it up.

I carried such a kit with me when I went to Montana several years ago. I had the usual in it such as a small vice, some black thread, small tinsel, and a few assorted feathers. I was fishing way up in the mountains. One morning a small tan generic mayfly was hatching. I didn't have anything that I felt was close enough to match it, so I tied up a dry that was close, using only hackle; i.e., hackle fibers for the tail, a stripped quill for the body, hackle tips and hackle for the wings. The brook trout really slammed it. Most hit as soon as the fly hit the water.
    Joe

Been trying to think of the most universal items, like peacock, grizzly, etc. wanted to keep it small and lightweight