Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hazel Creek

Default Hazel Creek

Hey y’all

Planning a one day trip to Hazel Creek in early April with Steve Claxton as our guide. Really looking forward to it. I read up on it and it sounds like the best thing since sliced bread but I wanted to see if it really is all that and what I should expect if weather conditions are normal.

Usually my best trips are Abrams Creek where I usually catch anywhere between 15-30 trout. Is Hazel Creek even better than Abrams?

Any stories or suggestions would be a lot of help. Obviously I’ll be picking Steve’s brain but I’ll take any fishing tips and methods for the area. That would be great!

Thanks
    Last edited by GSM Bigfoot; 02-17-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Depends on how many other thousand people are fishing it that day.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Are you kidding? Is it really overfished...
    I thought this spot was suppose to be a gem bc it takes miles to hike to unless you have a boat

Lots of people have boats. And there is a shuttle service from Fontana Village. Hazel Creek has good fishing, but it's been touted so much over the years that there are often quite a few people in there most of the time. It's not secluded by any means. That doesn't mean the fishing is bad, just don't expect solitude at most times. The fact that you are going in there with a guide says something........
    Last edited by just a hillbilly; 02-15-2018 at 04:58 PM.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

I first went over to Hazel in 1979. Between then and the mid 1990’s it was incredible! However as more guides have gone in and “set up camp” all Summer with clients, the quality has dropped significantly. I’ve not been in a few years and there’s a reason.

Jim Parks

I appreciate the info I had no idea. Am I better off just using the shuttle from Fontana village and fishing on my own with my group?

Or am i better off just fishing where I usually go on vacation (Abrams, Lynn camp, elkmont, greenbrier, roaring fork and tremont)

I was looking to fish a new section of the park and but now I’m not sure if the 2 hr drive and shuttle to Hazel creek would be worth it

The issue as I see it is if you put all your eggs in one basket (Hazel Creek) and it turns out to be crowded, the time, effort and money spent could have put you on several different streams with the ability to move around and change up with regards to the crowds (if any).

But first, I would talk to your guide and express your concerns and get his input.

I haven't been in a number of years, so my input may be dated. But if you go during the week, say Monday through Thursday, you should not run into a lot of other fishermen. Weekends can get crowded with guides taking in big groups. I've seen the entire first two campsites completely taken over by guided groups - like 15 - 20 per campsite during May weekends. The fact that you are planning an early April trip may help some. Just like any stream in the Park, the further you are willing to hike, the fewer people you will see. But that means spending two hours or so hiking in and two hours out. Steve has a great reputation and I'm sure he could tell you lots of stories about the history of the area. But that's not exactly what you're paying a guide for.

Thumbs up

Go ahead and plan to make the trip. That time of year especially if it's during the week you will have plenty of water to fish. It's a beautiful place and the fishing is usually better than average. You can be fishing in 10 minutes from the time you get off the boat and the trail follows the creek with easy access for 5 or 6 miles. Early April the Hendricksons and Cahills should be hatching. The water quality of that stream and the aquatic life is about as good as it gets in the GSMNP. Have fun, take a few photos and tell us how you did. Take a few minutes either at the first of the day or at days end to fish a couple of the lower runs below the first campsite. I've caught some nice fish that run out of the lake to spawn up the creek, and occasionally a nice Smallmouth.
    Last edited by flyman; 02-18-2018 at 02:04 AM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I doubt you will encounter large numbers of fishermen on Ms Hazel, sure people travel long distances to fish her, but my 50 + years on Hazel has rarely been unpleasant due to too, many fisherman, what is a fact is these fish are some of the hardest fish in the park to catch. You really have to be aware of how spooky these fish can be.