Thread: 3 hour drive and a rookie fly fisherman?

Default 3 hour drive and a rookie fly fisherman?

If you could fish this Wednesday, it takes a 3 hour drive to get to Townsend, and you was taking a friend who has never fly fished, where would you go? I really want to go to the mountains but Iím not sure if I should with a rookie. I donít want him to get disgusted with casting. I was wondering about the metcalf picnic area or lower tremont. What do you guys think? We also have to drive back the same day?
    ďA man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.Ē
    A man called Boomer

When I take a rookie fishing, it's normally in a place that has quantity over quality. Metcalf Bottoms can get boring if you aren't catching fish.

I'd take him to one of the more popular brook trout streams and let him catch some fish. There may be more interference with his backcast, but his casts will be relatively short anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
    When I take a rookie fishing, it's normally in a place that has quantity over quality. Metcalf Bottoms can get boring if you aren't catching fish.

I'd take him to one of the more popular brook trout streams and let him catch some fish. There may be more interference with his backcast, but his casts will be relatively short anyways.

I agree with a small speck creek. Not much actual casting involved. DH waters are good places to get people started learning to fly fish, too.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Which direction are you coming from on this 3 hr journey?

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Which direction are you coming from on this 3 hr journey?
    I live north of Nashville. If the Caney Fork generation schedule will cooperate that might be a better destination, we will have to see.
    ďA man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.Ē
    A man called Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post

If we go after specks this time of year, what flies should I bring? The way I’ve been reading Byron’s fishing reports the quill gordon would work, but I was thinking that was in the lower elevations? Will they still work up high this time of year? Or do I need to bring something else?

thank you so much in advance, I really hope he can catch some fish,
    hNt
    A man called Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    I live north of Nashville. If the Caney Fork generation schedule will cooperate that might be a better destination, we will have to see.
    The Caney will be blown for the foreseeable future. The lake is rising again and is still 10 feet above their current target level.

As far as fishing the Smokies, Wednesday is calling for a 100% chance of rain so stream levels will be on the rise again. If you do go, small streams might still be fishable. Try a big Parachute Adams for a dry fly and drop a bead head Pheasant Tail or Gold-ribbed Hares Ear nymph underneath in the #14-#16 size range.

Let's hope the rain starts to slow down a little sometime soon!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Judging by the rain we got overnight and Wednesday being a 100% chance of more rain, you'd be taking chances on finding fishable water. Although the higher streams may be fishable. If I had a 3 hour drive, I'd just tie up some pheasant tail softhackles and hit the local duck pond for bream on Wednesday. They should be biting and it may be the only clear water around right now. A rookie may enjoy that better anyways. It should give him a good chance to work on his casting.

I did fish a brookie stream Friday and caught far more than I deserved. 90% of the fish I caught came on a tan caddis pupa I used as a dropper. A David Knapp specialty he showed me how to tie.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

White bass are biting good below dams and in downtown knoxville right now, maybe some streamer fishing in warm water?

Weíve pushed our trip back till Friday because of the weather. Hopefully we can get on some fish! Iíve always wanted to go to Sams creek but Iíve always wound up fishing Thunderhead. I just canít pass up all that pretty water to get to Sams. Maybe weíll try there for some specks.