Thread: Where should I fish?

Default Where should I fish?

I am going to a buddy's destination wedding in Isle of Palms on May 10. I figure I am going to sneak some fishing in on the way down, back or while I am there. If you were going to be driving thru the smokies, Asheville etc with a short time to fish, where would you go? Or would you stay and fish the waters around Isle of Palms? I've never fished the smokies in spring. Only summer vacation and fall. Driving down I40 and I26.

Quote Originally Posted by lexfly View Post
    I am going to a buddy's destination wedding in Isle of Palms on May 10. I figure I am going to sneak some fishing in on the way down, back or while I am there. If you were going to be driving thru the smokies, Asheville etc with a short time to fish, where would you go? Or would you stay and fish the waters around Isle of Palms? I've never fished the smokies in spring. Only summer vacation and fall. Driving down I40 and I26.

I would hit the salt. Great fishing in that area for reds, flounder, and trout. I drive down there to fish. Of course, I live in the Smokies.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

thanks for the recommendation. I am going to try and do both, but don't know a lot about Isle of Palms area (or flats fishing for that matter). Any pointers?

I would suggest if you're going 40 to 26 then take that 276 South exit to Maggie Valley, run that down toward Cherokee, and either fish the tribal waters there or
    run up toward Straight Fork area and try that. Lots of good water around there though, and you could head back out toward Greenville, 385 to 26 and be right back
    on track.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    I would suggest if you're going 40 to 26 then take that 276 South exit to Maggie Valley, run that down toward Cherokee, and either fish the tribal waters there or
    run up toward Straight Fork area and try that. Lots of good water around there though, and you could head back out toward Greenville, 385 to 26 and be right back
    on track.
    Yeah, or just pop off exit 451 from I-40 at the state line, drive two miles to the park line, jump into Big Creek, and commence to catching rainbows.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Thanks to both of you. I have never fished straight fork or raven creek and it has been a long time since fishing big creek. I have to say I am a little excited. It would be nice to send my buddy a pic of a big tribal water fish while he is on his honeymoon.