Thread: Advise Hazel Creek

Default Advise Hazel Creek

Will be spending the first week of April camping at Hazel Creek. Almost all my fly fishing has been up North.......West Branch Delaware........I am used to Spring runoff and I am definitely not used to pocket water......I was told that runoff does not happen much in NC........looking for some practical advise on what to expect.....and what to use.......will have 3,4 and 5 wt with me on trip.......my gut tells me dropper bead head nymphs and wet flies in usual generic patterns along with some high floating dry flies. .......size 12, 14 and 16. Thank Much!

Fly selection for the Smokies is fairly simple.

That time of year for dries look at yellow sallies, yellow neversink caddis, yellow stimulators, there are several others. Google Smokies dry fly selections, all kinds of lists come up.

For nymphs, try hares ear, bead head pheasant tails, green weenies, etc. Again google selections.

now, where it does get difficult is just how spooky and wild the trout are in the Smokies. Truly wild fish and gin clear water make it so. Wear dark muted colors, move slowly and use the natural suroundings to hide in and between. Do not wear bright colors, do not wade up the middle of a stream like a lumbering bear.

Appreciate the advise.......think I have the fly selection covered....with the exception of the Green Weenies.....will have a few tied before trip...........forgot to ask......do you recommend felt or studded soles for wading shoes......I have both.....again, new to pocket water.....Thanks

In the Smokies I wear nothing but felt.

Thanks! Appreciate!

felt 100% of the time.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Add some #12-#18 Parachute Adams. Still lots of dark bugs hatching since this month has been so cool. Also add some caddis pupa to your list of flies and you should be set. Good luck!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Default Thanks

Thanks to all........very excited about trip.......hope weather accommodates...........retired to Southwest Georgia 6 years ago........since then my fly fishing and tying has been exclusively warm water........I enjoy it, but to finally get back to trout really has me pumped!