Thread: White Bass

Default White Bass

In Byron's report today, he mentioned that white bass will be moving into streams soon. Where are some of these streams and are they accessible from the bank?
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by xvigauge View Post
    In Byron's report today, he mentioned that white bass will be moving into streams soon. Where are some of these streams and are they accessible from the bank?
    Joe

I am not very experienced in catching them. However; I have discovered them in schools similar to crappie schools along river banks, cut-ins, etc. I think it would be challenging to target them from the bank. However; it is doable if you have a nice casting area. They are fun to catch when you find them.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Here where I live in VA they run up the rivers from the lake each spring, usually around the time Dogwoods bloom and continuing on sometimes as late
    as the end of June. I caught them for years from the banks before I got my first boat. In my experience I used anything flashy, and I fished any area below
    a feeder creek, and any sandy, rocky shoreline. Seemed they would always stage in those places as they migrated up. I also always noticed that when they
    were running I could predict the bite by the sun shining, they would cut off like a switch when clouds covered the sun and turn right back on when the sun
    popped out. I have some great memories of fishing for them growing up, they started to decline here about 20 years ago, but, thankfully they are making a
    comeback now and friends are catching a few more.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Here in kentucky the run every spring in the headwaters of a local lake and the streams.They usually are in huge schools and once you catch one you can usually catch a limit.I have never had a problem catching them from the banks.I tie on a white baitfish fly and it's on like donkey kong.Many times you can spot them by the rises.The water will look like it's boiling in places.These fish are great fighters and great eating.

I've even caught a bunch of them (accidentally) on the Clinch behind the Anderson County jail. Be sure to check the release schedule though - there's been a lot of water ripping through there lately.
    -:- Todd Baker
    -:- Former Coloradoan with Appalachian roots and saltwater aspirations.
    -:- https://www.instagram.com/technowannabe/

They are biting like sharks, the time is now

I forgot to mention below any dam on the Tennessee river would be a great place for bank fishing for white bass. Also anywhere near some shoals on the lower holston and french broad shoulders be good. Leadvale and rankin on the upper french should be on fire also

Far from secret so I’ll throw it out there. If you’re in Knoxville third creek flows into tn river right in UT campus, fish the mouth right where it feeds into the river and you’ll kill em. If there’s no one fishing there, then the fish aren’t there yet, or you’re in the wrong spot.