Thread: Two Night Camping/Fishing Trip

Default Two Night Camping/Fishing Trip

Within a couple of weeks, I'll be coming to the smokies with my girlfriend and we will be camping for a couple of nights at a backcountry campsite. I was just curious if people familiar with the area would give me some advice/recommendations. This will be my third year in a row fishing in the smokies and I'll be targeting brook trout specifically. I have received a couple of recommendations for campsites 23 and 30. As of now, I'm leaning towards campsite 23 as that seems to be a little bit easier of a hike. Also, this will be my first backpacking trip so if you think this would be a bad or dangerous decision, please let me know as I'm not super familiar with the trails, even though I've read online that they're "easy". Basically I'm just looking for some pretty areas that are quite secluded with plenty of brook trout. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not sure I wouldn't use campsite 24 and do day hikes and fish up to 23 and 30 for future reference. You would limit yourself fishing wise by staying at 23 or 30. The trail is well maintained and you don't gain a lot of elevation up to 24. Take care of your food and follow proper bear deterrents. Take some photos (especially if your girlfriend is good looking) and post up a trip report.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Thatís not a bad idea flyman and something Iíll definitely consider doing. Either way Iíll most definitely post photos. Other than the two nights camping, Iíll be staying in a cabin for the rest of the week so Iíll definitely get to fish many areas of the park. Canít wait! This is the earliest Iíve been to the smokies so Iím hoping for nice weather and hopefully there will be green on the trees. How should dry fly be? I go specifically to dry fly for brooks.