Thread: Wet Wading yet

Default Wet Wading yet

Plan to be in the park fishing for a week in the last week of May. Being an soft older guy I always like my wader paints as long as itís not to warm.

Will most u guys still be wearing your waders in late May?

P.S
    Waders are also add a couple pounds to my pack

Thoughts?

I'll be wet wading by the end of the week. That is if I don't go turkey hunting instead. I've gotten soft as I've gotten older, but it'll be warm enough to loose the waders after this warm front.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

I'm usually in shorts this time of year.If I'm on the stream by daylight and the temps are a little cooler, I can always slide on a pair of Chota Hippies till it warms up.

Buzz, I've done give up on the birds. Hard to keep going when everything is so quiet, weird season.

Begins this week for me as well. Was a tough choice with the cool mornings weíve had thus far, but this week looks like a completely different ballgame.

I will wet wade as early as March, usually mid to late, if the weather is fairly decent. Wading in the park is vastly different than tailwaters, especially the Clinch. Standing in water hours at a time up to your waste on the Clinch is not pleasant even when the temps are in the 90's.

For the park and other similair places, say the Pisgah, I use the rule of 100. If the water temp and the ambient air temp equals to or is greater than 100, wet wading should be fine. You can fudge the number if it does bother you and go for higher. Works for me.

I like the rule of 100! I'm going to say mine is more like 115-120, but that is a great way to think about it. Thanks JayR

I've already been wet wading for a month. I hate waders.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Some of the guys fishing in the park with me last week were wading wet. They said the cold water didn't matter because their feet and legs went numb after a short time anyway. I guess that I prefer knowing where my feet and legs are. Even when I'm wearing waders I think the best thing you can do is stay out of the water as much as possible. But the great thing is you can do what ever works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
    I like the rule of 100! I'm going to say mine is more like 115-120, but that is a great way to think about it. Thanks JayR
    One thing to also keep in mind along with the temp when the number is right at 100 is also the wind and sun. A real cloudy and windy day will detract from that score. One of the biggest things one can do to comfortably wet wade is to wear fast drying clothing. Cotton is not your friend.