Thread: Yellow Sally hatch

Default Yellow Sally hatch

Fished Sams creek monday and saw only a few but driving out ran into a massive hatch on the lower river.They were so thick it looked like a blizzard and the front of the vehicle was plastered with the carcasses.Also coming to the crossing at Thunderhead prong saw a big bear in the clearing on the other side that exploded up the mountain.

It's funny you bring this up. My wife and I hiked the trail behind Tremont Institute about 10 days ago. The park service had just finished paving Tremont Rd. There was the largest yellow sally hatch I've ever seen hovering over the fresh pavement. It was really unbelievable.

We also saw a bear with cubs right where the trail starts to descend down to the Meigs Creek Trail.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

I have seen many bears in the park over the years which either ambled away casually or seemingly disappeared after becoming aware of me.This bear climbed a steep brushy hill in seconds with such sheer power that it left small trees and rhodo thickets shaking in its wake.Downstream after crossing the metal bridge over Thunderhead i left the trail to sit beside the creek and brew a canteen cup of Earl Grey in the growing dusk i saw a bunch of deer,and a smattering of yellow sallies hatching.The blizzard hatch i drove through on the way out amazed me so much i stopped to take some pics,the only other time i have seen such a large hatch of bugs in the park was in the little horseshoe on Abrams creek in the early 90's when what i think were green drakes were everywhere and the trouts ate the extended elk hair body green drake fly, that i tied from the Jack Dennis book on western fly tying,til it was in tatters.The biggest brown trout i have caught was one of them and i really hate the browns disappeared from Abrams.

Quote Originally Posted by mora521 View Post
    I have seen many bears in the park over the years which either ambled away casually or seemingly disappeared after becoming aware of me.This bear climbed a steep brushy hill in seconds with such sheer power that it left small trees and rhodo thickets shaking in its wake.Downstream after crossing the metal bridge over Thunderhead i left the trail to sit beside the creek and brew a canteen cup of Earl Grey in the growing dusk i saw a bunch of deer,and a smattering of yellow sallies hatching.The blizzard hatch i drove through on the way out amazed me so much i stopped to take some pics,the only other time i have seen such a large hatch of bugs in the park was in the little horseshoe on Abrams creek in the early 90's when what i think were green drakes were everywhere and the trouts ate the extended elk hair body green drake fly, that i tied from the Jack Dennis book on western fly tying,til it was in tatters.The biggest brown trout i have caught was one of them and i really hate the browns disappeared from Abrams.
    i am glad someone else remembers the browns on Abrams. My dad fished Abrams back in the 60's and 70's and I remember him talking about them. I have fished it a couple of times and caught nothing but rainbows and haven't heard of browns being there in years. What happened?

Jim Casada thinks the catalyst for the browns vanishing is the re introduction of otters.I have caught large rainbows from where the trail to little bottoms camp parallels the creek that were so full of periwinkles that you could see and feel them.I used to fish there a lot

Something interesting, some years ago (1990's I believe) not 1 but 2 huge brown trout were shocked by the Park Service at the confluence of Abrams and Mill Creek in that pool. Bother were nearly 30" and estimated to be 13 yrs old!

Regarding the status of the brown trout in Abrams, I don't buy the introduction of the otters as being the cause of the disappearance of brown trout from Abrams. For one, why are the other streams now inhabited by the otters not also void of brown trout? Why just the browns? I don't think otters are that picky as there are nice sized rainbows in Abrams. I think my personal best rainbow in Abrams is 16" down where Rabbit Creek flows in. To me, it seems there are more brown trout now than ever in the Park, including those streams where browns have existed and otters now thrive. At least that's what my flyrod tells me. Also, there are a lot more trophy browns in the Park than any time in my past 40 years, which would seem to me to be the fish at the greatest risk of otter predation. Though it is likely my skills have improved in spotting and catching them, there are more just in the past 10 years.

I believe what has hurt the browns in Abrams is the inability for the eggs to hatch. This is strictly my theory, but the water levels typically run low in the fall when the brown trout spawn and the water flowing out of Cades Cove has been historically full of silt. Low water in a silt filled stream like Abrams means the silt would cover the eggs smothering them. So, even though the female clears out a good redd and lays her eggs, then she covers the eggs back up, the silt covers the eggs and isn't washed out well enough, resulting in smothered eggs that fail to survive.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim Parks