Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Mistake Observed

Default Biggest Mistake Observed

I am blessed to spend a lot of time in the Park. If Iím not fishing, Iím hiking or biking. All 3 keep me in close proximity to the streams where I often observe fishermen to see how theyíre doing and to maybe pick up a few ideas. Iíve fished the Smokies 40 yrs, but Iím never above learning from others, even if itís what NOT to do.

On many trips, I spot fishermen from well over 100 yards away and often thru the woods as theyíre standing in the creek. Let that sink in...... I spot them from a distance sometimes while Iím riding a bike at over 20 mph!

Few weeks back, Chase Turner and I hit on some rules to catching Big Browns in the Park. Forget that conversation for now. FOCUS ON THIS!!

If you desire to catch wild trout in the Smokies.... DO NOT WEAR BRIGHT CLOTHING!! EVER!!

this includes hat and shirts in colors such as white, orange (yes even Tenn Orange), yellow or anything other than the color of the surroundings. Salmon is a fish, not a color of a shirt to fish in. Itís like bright PINK, which may look good on a fishing magazine But will not do anything in the way of hiding from wild trout.

So, SERIOUSLY stop wearing bright clothes when fishing the Smokies if you want to do well. It doesnít matter what fly you are using, the rod, the reel, or even your new pair of boots. If you spook the trout, you will NOT catch it, unless it is suicidal!

last year we hit a dry spell in the Smokies. I was backcountry camping and wearing a short sleeved camo shirt. My uncovered, white arms were spooking fish when I was casting. I literally walked 4 hours round trip to go buy a long sleeved camo shirt. My payoff was a 22Ē female brown on a greenie weenie that evening.

You you are a predator. A troutís life depends on avoiding predators.

Grampus

Quote Originally Posted by Grampus View Post
    I am blessed to spend a lot of time in the Park. If I’m not fishing, I’m hiking or biking. All 3 keep me in close proximity to the streams where I often observe fishermen to see how they’re doing and to maybe pick up a few ideas. I’ve fished the Smokies 40 yrs, but I’m never above learning from others, even if it’s what NOT to do.

On many trips, I spot fishermen from well over 100 yards away and often thru the woods as they’re standing in the creek. Let that sink in...... I spot them from a distance sometimes while I’m riding a bike at over 20 mph!

Few weeks back, Chase Turner and I hit on some rules to catching Big Browns in the Park. Forget that conversation for now. FOCUS ON THIS!!

If you desire to catch wild trout in the Smokies.... DO NOT WEAR BRIGHT CLOTHING!! EVER!!

this includes hat and shirts in colors such as white, orange (yes even Tenn Orange), yellow or anything other than the color of the surroundings. Salmon is a fish, not a color of a shirt to fish in. It’s like bright PINK, which may look good on a fishing magazine But will not do anything in the way of hiding from wild trout.

So, SERIOUSLY stop wearing bright clothes when fishing the Smokies if you want to do well. It doesn’t matter what fly you are using, the rod, the reel, or even your new pair of boots. If you spook the trout, you will NOT catch it, unless it is suicidal!

last year we hit a dry spell in the Smokies. I was backcountry camping and wearing a short sleeved camo shirt. My uncovered, white arms were spooking fish when I was casting. I literally walked 4 hours round trip to go buy a long sleeved camo shirt. My payoff was a 22” female brown on a greenie weenie that evening.

You you are a predator. A trout’s life depends on avoiding predators.

Grampus
    I would start a list but it would be a mile long.

start with this....don’t wear a flat brim trucker hat with a hoody pulled up and take pictures looking at the fish as if your in and erotic swoon, look at the camera or else people will think you’re just another hipster millennial. This is a new trend that causes people to just shake their head in disbelief

in in all seriousness. This biggest mistake I see is people standing on the highest point in a piece of water. Stay low, stay quiet, and present your fly softly

Since clothing choice rarely comes across my brain, I have accidentally worn a plain white t shirt fishing in the mountains more than a few times. It wasn't intentional, just picked a shirt up off the floor and went fishing. You can still catch fish, just have to be sneaky

Waterwolf, this cracked me up. It's a lot more common than you think. 😂

But my biggest downfall is being 6'4" and clumsy so it doesn't help either whether you're wearing full camo or not.

Didn't Lefty famously say something about most folks walking where they should be fishing?
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    Didn't Lefty famously say something about most folks walking where they should be fishing?
    I don’t know who first said it, but I’ve heard it said, “You should never walk where you can fish, and never fish where you can walk”

Jim Parks

I pity all of you tall guys with big feet. It is a fact that people of a shorter stature will catch more fish in the Park and have much more fun than you tall guys. Smaller people don't have to hunker down or bend down as much to stay hidden. Being closer to the water level, they hang up their line on over hanging brush and limbs much less than tall guys and their casts are more accurate. I guess you all can't do anything about your height handicap other than learn to compensate somehow (if possible), learn to live with it, and be satisfied with catching fewer fish.
    Joe

Ouch Wolf, that hurts lol. I just love wearing a hoody because it keeps the back of my neck from getting absolutely fried. Itís very comfortable no doubt. I know what you mean though. And absolutely awesome advice that is definitely overlooked and undervalued, Jim.

6'4" with size 15 shoes and bad knees and you have to learn to pick your moves before you make them. But the 6'9" wingspan helps, I'll be darned if I can't highstick from across the river with the long rod. Haha I'd be interested for someone to do a study with fish catches comparing the two statures, just for the heck of it. Experienced anglers and what not.

But all jokes aside I fish from a knee, crouched, behind objects, etc. As anyone should, whether they're 6-8 or 5-8.

And if anything, successful taller folks would be more stealthy. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Turner View Post
    Ouch Wolf, that hurts lol. I just love wearing a hoody because it keeps the back of my neck from getting absolutely fried. Itís very comfortable no doubt. I know what you mean though. And absolutely awesome advice that is definitely overlooked and undervalued, Jim.
    Lol, My post wasnít aimed at you and was certainly meant more tongue and cheek. Sorry if it offended as I was just having a little fun