Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing Success?

You can. I'm not Lefty Kreh.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Went fishing twice this week. Did everything right as far as I know; i.e., fine tippet, recommended nymphs, stealth in approaching likely looking spots, dark clothing, late in the day, proper drift and line mending, tried using weight to get the nymph down and tried drifting the nymph with no weight and not one fish. At my age I know that experiencing the beauty of the park, breathing the fresh air, and just taking in the whole experience is all part of it, but it would be nice to catch a trout once in a great while. Are you guys sure there are trout in those streams?
    Joe

BTW, I was fishing on the Middle Prong on the gravel road. There are some great looking spots there.
    Last edited by xvigauge; 06-07-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xvigauge View Post
    Went fishing twice this week. Did everything right as far as I know; i.e., fine tippet, recommended nymphs, stealth in approaching likely looking spots, dark clothing, late in the day, proper drift and line mending, tried using weight to get the nymph down and tried drifting the nymph with no weight and not one fish. At my age I know that experiencing the beauty of the park, breathing the fresh air, and just taking in the whole experience is all part of it, but it would be nice to catch a trout once in a great while. Are you guys sure there are trout in those streams?
    Joe

BTW, I was fishing on the Middle Prong on the gravel road. There are some great looking spots there.

This time of the year, I would be throwing a dry/dropper rig. Middle Prong along side the road gets a lot of pressure.

What exact size size tippet are you throwing? What exact nymphs and their size were you using? What length and weight rod?

Right now now the Smokies should be on fire.
    Last edited by JayR; 06-07-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Default Fishing success

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    This time of the year, I would be throwing a dry/dropper rig. Middle Prong along side the road gets a lot of pressure.

What exact size size tippet are you throwing? What exact nymphs and their size were you using? What length and weight rod?

I would imagine there are some who have bad days and can't figure out what is going wrong, even when you have tried everything. I still have those days on occasion. My first love is tightlineing nymphs, even when I see flies hatching. Some just prefer dry flies and that is alright too. It's really not a bad idea to occasionally hire a guide for at least 1/2 day to make sure that you haven't let your skills slip or that you might be forgetting some good technique. One half day won't break the bank and may get you back into your old groove. My wife and I hit Little River this morning and it had been a while for her. She has been in GrandMother mode for awhile and was a little rusty starting off. After a few minutes she was bringing some average size rainbows to hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post

I have some physical disabilities so I am limited to spots where I can fish. I did not see any other fishermen on the Middle Prong. Byron recommend the Middle Prong in his latest fishing report. I can only fish spots I can get to and those are usually near the road side. I was somewhere between where the gravel starts and the foot bridge. Lots of good looking spots there. I use a 7 1/2 foot bamboo rod that balances with a 4 weight. I was using a 5X tippet. I was using green weenies, pink weenies, pheasant tail nymphs, yellow stone fly nymphs, and ants all in sizes 14 and 16.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by xvigauge View Post
    I have some physical disabilities so I am limited to spots where I can fish. I did not see any other fishermen on the Middle Prong. Byron recommend the Middle Prong in his latest fishing report. I can only fish spots I can get to and those are usually near the road side. I was somewhere between where the gravel starts and the foot bridge. Lots of good looking spots there. I use a 7 1/2 foot bamboo rod that balances with a 4 weight. I was using a 5X tippet. I was using green weenies, pink weenies, pheasant tail nymphs, yellow stone fly nymphs, and ants all in sizes 14 and 16.
    Joe

You said you fished late in the day so no telling how many (if any) fishermen were there before you. Also, you weren’t the only one who read that fishing report, granted not everyone that did went to Middle Prong, but that is one reason I will sometimes take the contrarian position when it comes to posted info. I understand the disability limits your areas but with the Smokies, the ease of entry, the info posts on the internet, this all can contribute to too much pressure and very well could be the reason for your lack of success.

I think the other poster had a good idea, use a guide for a half or whole day and see if that doesn’t help.

I would like to hire a guide, but being on a fixed income, I really can't afford one; at least not one of the full time pros. If anyone has any other suggestions on someone who could guide me, you could send me a private message.
    Joe

xviguage,
    When you are on Little River, or the Middle Prong, just look for a Tan Honda Pilot and if I happen to be there I would be glad to give you a little help. It would be my pleasure to fish with you a few hours. I always learn from someone else when I fish with them.
    Hugh Hartsell

Quote Originally Posted by GinsengMan View Post
    xviguage,
    When you are on Little River, or the Middle Prong, just look for a Tan Honda Pilot and if I happen to be there I would be glad to give you a little help. It would be my pleasure to fish with you a few hours. I always learn from someone else when I fish with them.
    Hugh Hartsell
    OK, Hugh. I will look for you.
    Joe

I like fishing a small dry Fly up through the middle prong, usually good for a lot of bites from tiny rainbows and lots of warpaint shiners if nothing else