Thread: Turtletown Creek

Default Turtletown Creek

Hi everyone, this will be a bit of an introductory post as well as a specific question about the area.

My wife and I have just recently moved to Cleveland, TN by way of Sioux Falls, SD. We are wholeheartedly looking forward to the winter months since I hear that they measure annual snowfall in inches here instead of feet. Anyway, I've been fly fishing for years now, having spent most of my time out west, fishing the Black Hills in SD as well as Wyoming and Montana.

In the month that we have moved here, I have fished the Hiwassee several times as well as Tellico. While these have been a blast, my heart belongs to wild trout and especially native brookies. From what I have found online, the closest wild trout streams to Cleveland look like Gee, Wolf and Turtletown. I fished Gee this past week and caught a few wild bows. That is a beautiful little creek! I am very interested in Turtletown and it's wild browns, but I'm unclear on where to access the stream. It looks like there is some access near the town of Apalachia?...is there any access to the lower stretch where it meets the Hiwassee? Is it feasible to park on the road that parallels Wolf Creek and bushwhack to lower Turtletown Creek or is there an easier way?

Also, since native trout are my true love, I've been searching for info on native brookies in the Cleveland area. According to the stream maps, it looks like some tributaries in the Tellico watershed might be the closest option, but I have to believe that there could be populations in some of the tributaries to the Ocoee or Hiwassee. Am I totally misguided in thinking this way? If anyone has info on possible streams to search for native populations in the Hiwassee, Ocoee or Conasauga watersheds.....have 0wt, will travel. Not afraid to hoof it up to small tribs for native trout.

If you have info and don't want to share on the forum, please feel free to DM me! I'm looking for new fishing compadres as well, since we don't know many people in the area yet, so if anyone's interested in meeting up for a fishing trip, just let me know!

Thanks and I look forward to being a part of this forum.

Cody

Google TWRA fishing guide 2018, lots of good info there and streams to fish.

JayR, thanks for the info. I hadn't seen that yet. Beyond the stocking schedules, is there more information published somewhere regarding wild or native trout populations? I did find a brief mention in an article from the Chattanoogan about brook trout restoration in Polk County. http://www.chattanoogan.com/2000/4/6...Compliant.aspx This was from 2000, has anyone heard of any results of the Short Creek restoration?

I don't know anything about the Cleveland area but you can find hoards of wild Brook trout in the great Smoky mountains national park

Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post
    JayR, thanks for the info. I hadn't seen that yet. Beyond the stocking schedules, is there more information published somewhere regarding wild or native trout populations? I did find a brief mention in an article from the Chattanoogan about brook trout restoration in Polk County. http://www.chattanoogan.com/2000/4/6...Compliant.aspx This was from 2000, has anyone heard of any results of the Short Creek restoration?
    lots of good info in that. Download it, it’s free.

As elkhaircaddis says, the Smokies have the most. There are some streams in the Tellico district of the South Cherokee that have them. The Ocoee district is not near as good with wild trout as the Tellico district.

Did you fish North River, Bald River or Sycamore creek when you went to Tellico? All of those streams are designated as "wild" streams (no stocking/single hook artificial lures/flies only). Sycamore has brook trout.

http://appalachiantu.org/streams/sycamore-creek/

I'd love to refer you to the TWRA website and their stream surveys dating back to the 90's, but that page no longer exists. 💀

Turtletown creek used to have some huge Browns years ago that escaped from a private pond that flooded. I haven't caught a Brown of any size in that stream in years. There is easy access to a large portion of the stream in CNF. It is a stocked stream, not a wild stream. Wolf creek is a wild stream and fishes about the same as Gee creek. The extreme upper reaches of the Conasauga and Jacks river hold some nice trout, rainbows and Browns but you would need a Georgia license. Pretty sure the brook trout program in Short creek failed as I have never caught a trout of any kind in that stream. If you like the wild streams, the Tellico area is your closest best option. As stated, North River, Bald River, Sycamore and thier tributaries all have good fishing. Rainbows, Browns and brookies in all three watersheds. You'll have to travel high for the brookies but they are there.

Thanks to everyone for the info. It sounds like I'll need to keep fishing the Hiwassee for my quick trout fix and head up to Tellico when I want to find wild fish and natives.

For anyone interested, I contacted Travis Scott, the streams/rivers/trout contact for Region 3. He informed me that there are no native brook trout in Polk County, so it sounds like the Short Creek reintroduction project was unsuccessful.