Thread: Smokies Trips Info

Thumbs up Smokies Trips Info

Hey, everybody! This is my first interesting post here lol. I figure as much as I lurk these threads about fishing in the park, I should contribute something since I've been doing a lot of it lately!

I am looking into getting a new rod that might have some questions about, but first here is kind of a year's worth of trip updates in a very short post.

Over the last little bit, I have hitting up Tremont above the falls, West Prong up to BC18, Elkmont, and the Sugarlands a lot. I built a 9' 2wt which is super awesome, even though I missed a size 3 guide after the main ring guide (donwinn, offered to help me out with that). I have been getting some good action on #16 yellow and green elk hair caddis flies, and #18 parachute sulphurs! Also, some good ones on a streamer called the "Brookie King" by my friend Deryn Lacombe up in Maine.

I went to Greenbriar one evening about a month ago, just above the single-lane section and caught 50+ rainbows in about 4 hours on a yellow elk hair caddis fly! I decided pretty early that evening to smash the barb down on my fly and I think I'm going to do that from now on.

I've been trying to shoot more photos lately too when I go. Here is one of my buddy in the Sugarlands and nice Brookie I caught in Tremont:

I have been loving my home built 9ft 2wt, but I'm wanting a tenkara really bad! I would come to LRO and try them, but I did that at Orvis a couple weeks ago and ended up breaking the tip section of a Tenkara USA Sato in half by accident... so, I feel like the next one I break should be my own haha!

Do any of you tenkara people have a suggestion on length and action? Many people say 9ft is too long of a normal fly rod for the park streams, but I love mine and would like a 10' some times I think. I have a 7'3" TFO Finesse 2wt which is nice, but too short most of the time. I like reaching across a current to drift a dry down the eddy on the other side of it too much to go with my shorter rod. As far as the weight goes, I want to cast a super small level line to wild trout in streams like Tremont above the Jakes Creek trail split.

I see tenkara rods like the Tenkara USA ones that weigh 3.5oz or so for 12ft and rods like the Motsugo 3607 that weigh 1/2 of that for a 12' rod. Has anybody tried any super light tenkara rods?

Outstanding photo of the Brook Trout!!

Thanks, Joe!

That's about as pretty brook trout as I've seen. Well done.