Thread: cormorants

Default cormorants

Has anyone other than me notice how the cormorants can ruin a good day of fishing? Fishing was good at upper launch this morning until the cormorant invasion. They wreaked havoc . This year has been noticeably different in regards to them. Any thoughts?

They're literally everywhere throughout the river. And they do their thing no matter the cfs. Low water, 1 gen, or during the sluice.

I just wanna know where they roost at and I'll be glad to thin them out.

This is a problem that I have been watching now for 2-3 years and it is growing very rapidly. A few years ago it was not common to see them in East Tn. except for maybe a few passing through. They left quickly and did not stay year round. On Douglas Lake and Cherokee as well, they have taken up year round residence and they can completely destroy a new stocking of trout in just a few days. Small 4-8 inch long fish don't stand a chance. It appears that TWRA is going to have to open a special season to rid the area of this new pest or trout fishing on the tailwaters will really decline.

They are becoming a plague. On almost every river I fish which is about a dozen in this area they all have them. I absolutely loathe them. It has certainly crossed my mind doing some work on them covertly but understand that it is highly illegal therefore I’ll just hope they contract some sort of horrific disease that wipes them out

Does anyone know if TWRA has or will address the issue? The rookery is right across from basically the gazebo . If you see them my opinion would be go somewhere else.

TWRA can't do anything without permission from the Feds. Cormorants are protected by the migratory bird treaty act and fall under USFWS jurisdiction too, and theirs supercedes TWRAs. Cormorants can become a problem just about everywhere they are found.

Comorants are eating thousands of trout that our expensive trout licenses buy, particularly at Cherokee. I hope TWRA acknowledges the problem and tries to get Federal approval. In the interim time, the only thing I can think of possible civil disobedience.

Anyone raising fish for money can apply for a depredation permit with USFWS and take a certain number of birds. Also the fed can get rid of the birds, especially for catfish farmers down south