Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: “Bait” Fishing for Browns

"The park service has been busy the past few years eradicating the rainbow trout from the national park as they are a non native invasive species. All of the fish you will catch within the park boundaries should be brook trout and very small. (I'm talking the length of your finger small.) Catching them requires a VERY small fly, size 14-16. Generally nymphs work better than dries this time of year.

If you want to catch keeper size fish you need to fish where the trout are stocked. West Prong Little Pigeon in Gatlinburg, Lower Little River in Townsend, Oconoluftee in Cherokee, are all well stocked outside the park boundaries.”

I have heard and read similar information online. Even had one guy who stated that the City of Gatlinburg waters were one in the same as the GSMNP. If someone not mindful of the differences had taken this for the truth they very likely could have gotten ticketed. It finally came down to me copy and pasting the regs out the TWRA fishing guide for each.

That’s a heck of a trout no matter what it was caught on. I’ve got to get back up that way and fish. Great info to go along with It.

I own a cabin on the Roaring Fork near downtown Gburg. If I haven't had a good day in the Park, catching 15 stockers in 30 minutes is a big confidence booster.

Husker, did you rebuild on Roaring Fork? If so, will you be renting again? I tried to go to the old website the other day and the link didn't work. Thanks!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    Husker, did you rebuild on Roaring Fork? If so, will you be renting again? I tried to go to the old website the other day and the link didn't work. Thanks!
    Hello there! Yes, it has taken over a year, but we will re-open the all new "Cabin On Roaring Fork" around mid September for guests. We have spared no expense on this custom cabin and I hope some of your fishers will stop by for a weekend.

Here's a sneak preview of some of the goodies:

- Made 100% of Yellow Pine logs from British Columbia - no sheetrock anywhere. That was a rule.
    - 1430 square feet, with two bedrooms (one is a loft bedroom), and two baths
    - High end stainless appliances - KitchenAid and Maytag
    - Fully stocked kitchen
    - River rock fireplace (wood burning)
    - Jeldwen casement windows
    - Vaulted beam ceilings
    - Screened in porch overlooking the Roaring Fork
    - Private hot tub deck overlooking the Roaring Fork
    - Billiards room with solid aspen log pool table
    - Custom kitchen cabinets and granite counters
    - Hand made live edge hickory dining table and handmade hickory chairs (comfortable!)
    - Leather living room furniture
    - Antique persian rugs
    - Master bath with shower and claw foot tub
    - Massive antique wood Old Town canoe that we thought would make a splendid living room chandelier
    - Several nifty antique items that you'll easily discover
    - A large cinnamon black bear rug overlooking the living room

We tried to build a cabin for the fly fishing enthusiast that also has a picky wife. The idea being that the cabin is plenty nice enough for the picky wife, who is content to hang around for 3-4 days while hubby is off fishing.

I'll try to post a few photos of the finished product in a few weeks if Byron doesn't mind.

This won't be an inexpensive cabin - likely $250-ish per night in the fall, winter, and spring, and around $300 per night in the summer. But I think it's going to "check all the boxes" for the discriminating traveler.