Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “Bait” Fishing for Browns

The roll on indicator on the nymph rig works well and makes it much easier to see a strike. Jim taught me this technique over 20 years ago. learning to to judge water depth and how to keep your fly just off the bottom without getting hung constantly is the hardest thing for people to learn. Once they get it and start seeing the strikes, getting them to set the hook is the next hardest thing! This is a client that had spent some time fishing the park without a lot of success, We worked on high sticking with this rig and he caught several nice bows and browns this day, including a 14'' er. If you zoom in on the leader, you can see two little spots on the leader. those are tiny roll ons to be able to track the direction the leader is moving and seeing the strike against dark backgrounds. I can remember when we used to put a little kink in the leader and watch for it to straighten when we got a strike.

Jim, thanks for the details! I figured you were high-sticking. I've got to spend more time working on that technique. My 8 foot 4wt does not give me a whole lot of reach though.

LRO has a Wooly Hellgramite.

http://shop.littleriveroutfitters.co...g/#description

Would the Grampus fly be a similar tie? I'd like to tie my own so I can weight them the way I want.

A longer rod is better, but I went from a 9 ft to 8 1/2 and it seems to actually work better as I can still get the distance and I get hung up less in trees. I think a double tapered fly line helps as well and when it begins to wear out, you can reverse it.

My Grampus looks different and I tie them with different weights for different conditions. I’ve always tied mine so that I can weight them how I like them. I think it’s easier to high-stick with weighted nymphs, most of which are size 8, which provides resistance to keep the fly out there and not dragged back towards me due to the weight of the fly line.

Like Gary said, the hardest parts are keeping the slack outta the line without pulling the fly. Doing so properly makes detecting strikes easier. Little rainbows can be frustrating to set the hook on. Fortunately, big browns are slow and deliberate in their takes making the hookset easier. Then, the fight is on! That’s another discussion.

Jim Parks

Jim, what a specimen! You are the man my friend, great job. I fished some new NC water outside of the Park yesterday in between the storms and was rewarded with this fine, 15” female. As we always say, the name of the game is high, stained water and for me, big heavy stonefly imitations. I thought she was much larger when I hooked her in a heavy run. Not a bad first visit and I will be back for more scouting. We will have to meet up on the water one day this Fall.

[

If this works, I'll post photos of the flies we've been talking about.

Jim Parks
    Last edited by Grampus; 07-24-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: No Photo in post

Ha! I think you figured it out (posting pictures). That fish is feeding well.

It'll be fun trying a new technique (high-sticking) when my brother and I hit the Park in late September.

Beautiful fish and thanks for the information on high sticking. I just retired and trout fishing is my new passion although I have a lot to learn. I’ll be doing more reading than typing but will post any success or failures I have.
    Jeff

Prior to being placed in the Fly Fishing Museum, I will share these 2 of my favorite flies.

Invented in 1985, I've shown Jim's Grampus to just a few fellow fishermen till now. As I've said earlier, I've caught too many 20+ inch browns in the Smokies to count, a 23 incher on the Clinch, one rainbow on Hazel Creek in the 1990's over 18", and a large brown on Rock Creek in Montana in 1994. It's also worked well on the SoHo and Red River, Arkansas. When I catch a rainbow on it, it's typically over 12". It seems to take off best in the Smokies in mid-June thru July and August. I originally tied it with my wife's (then girlfriend) cross-stitch yarn in black, with black goose biots for the legs, black hackle, peacock herl back, and Chinese Boar Hair antennae. I typically tie it on a #8 3X hook and weight it sometimes HEAVY and sometimes lighter, but I like it to bounce along the bottom.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

The Guinea Fly is one of the earliest flies I've tied and is one of those "ole" mountain patterns that seemed to have been forgotten over the years. I learned to tie this fly in 1978 while camping on Forney Creek from Charlie Murrell who lived in Cosby. It's likely invented by some farmer simply using what he had on hand as guinea fowl are considered excellent "watch dogs" on farms. It's tied with grey chennile with the hackle from a split hackle of a guinea fowl. This is the best fly I've used for big trout in the Smokies in March & April. I tie it weighted on a #8 hook. May of last year, I coaxed a 21 inch brown out from under a rock with this. And this past May, I spotted a 22 inch brown in a tail-out of a large pool and slipped up behind her. She took this on the first cast. I've rarely had a fisherman accept one of these when I've offered it even after they've watched me land a nice trout. (I NEVER UNDERSTOOD THAT).

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Hope you enjoy and they bring you the success they have me over the years.

Jim Parks

Jim,

It takes a Gentleman to share his patterns like this, you've surpassed with flying colors for sharing.

Tight Lines,
    Grumpy

Jim, your Grampus fly looks fantastic! That will be a fun one to try to tie. The Guinea fly is interesting. It almost looks like the pictures of the Mop fly I've seen but with a Guinea hackle. That one should be easier to tie. Is it a standard or oversized #8 hook you're using on the Guinea fly?