Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24lb Brown Trout "Harvested" from S. Holston River

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    I certanly have never landed one over 15lbs. However, I’ve held quite a few when we were shocking the Clinch a bunch and that fish is an easy 15 lbs and 30” long, but not bigger than 18 lbs. heck of a fish, just not as big as claimed imo

It is a challenge to try and guess the weight of fish by a single picture. I have seen a wide variety of trophy fish sizes and weights over the years. That fish could be 24lbs; but, I would guess it were in the 15-18lb. range as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JoelO View Post
    Caught this one a few years ago...23.5" I didn't weigh it though...just a few pictures and off it went.
    Beauty! Great catch and release!

All, be mindful to work the gills and body of large trout in the water during the release so that the lactic acid dissipates and their oxygen percent increases. Otherwise; they have a high risk of drowning after a hard fight.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

That's a big fish
    My posts are worthless without pictures

So true! A few weeks ago, I had my protege video me reviving one. Afterwards, I replayed it for him to help him better underatand the gentle process of where to place the trout in a gentle current to facilitate its breathing and how to hold it as it is allowed to recover. Also, it’s best to land one as quickly as possible.

The reward is to have caught it, then to see it later digging its redd.

Jim Parks

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post

It is a challenge to try and guess the weight of fish by a single picture. I have seen a wide variety of trophy fish sizes and weights over the years. That fish could be 24lbs; but, I would guess it were in the 15-18lb. range as well.

[I]

Beauty! Great catch and release!

All, be mindful to work the gills and body of large trout in the water during the release so that the lactic acid dissipates and their oxygen percent increases. Otherwise; they have a high risk of drowning after a hard fight.
    Couldn’t agree more, and a picture can make them look small or monstrous. Mine always looks smaller in pictures, lol

Quote Originally Posted by JoelO View Post
    Caught this one a few years ago...23.5" I didn't weigh it though...just a few pictures and off it went.

Extremely nice fish. Anyone know what the behometh ate? a reproduction and , or pictures would have been great. Fish like that deserve to go back behind that rock, and eat again. Just my thoughts.

I was lucky...caught it on a #16 zebra midge...not the big meal you would be expecting it to go after. I'm strictly catch and release, no matter the size...they all go back behind the rock if I catch them. Regarding recovery efforts: I spend a good amount of time making sure they're ready to swim off. You pretty much have to hold them in place in a gentle current...as was mentioned. They'll let you know when they're ready to go. After this one recovered, it moved off into a deeper part of the stream and just chilled out.

Congratulations on that fish. For some reason, maybe an earlier post, i assumed that the fish had been kept, which would have been a personal decision. That is indeed a prize.