Thread: beavers in Abrams spring creek

Default beavers in Abrams spring creek

Are there beavers in Abrams spring creek? There are a lot of deadfalls and what could be the beginnings of beaver dams in a few places, or they could be accumulations of debris washed there by flooding. I was fishing there recently, and I finally gave up and walked out because the creek is nearly impassable in some places. Does anyone know for sure?

Heck yea there are beavers in there! And rainbows too

Beavers are all throughout the park in numbers probably greater than most people would believe. Our beavers live in under cut banks for the most part or dens built into the banks of our rivers. They are also very nocturnal so we don't see them much. Every now and then they get ambitious and you will see them build a dam or at least a partial dam. The last full beaver dam that I saw in the park was in 2007 during the bad drought. In a popular pool above Metcalf and below the turn for Elkmont some beavers successfully built a dam all the way across the river. It altered the flow pretty good until it was finally blown out by some much needed high water.

Beavers................MMMMMM taste good!
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Wow. Good to know. I came upon two dams pretty close together on Forney a couple of years ago and just figured it was deadfalls that fell in the right place. Not much flow to it and pretty warm water.

Years ago, >20, I was fishing with my dad in Forney creek. We were in opposite sides of the creek working our way up when he yelled across that he saw a beaver. Jokingly, I yelled back, “well pick it up!” He did! It was a very young one and he picked it up by the skin of its back and held it up briefly and looked at it. He put it back in the water and it swam off. A few years later, I was fishing Hazel Creek and as I stepped up to a big pool, one slapped it’s tail on the water and I saw it swim away underwater. Occasionally, I still come across trees they’ve cut down along various streams.

Jim Parks