Thread: Fly Packs

Default Fly Packs

Has anybody tried this? At our advancing age my wife and I have problems trying to thread a 5x tippet through the eye of a tiny fly, especially while standing in the middle of a stream trying to manage a rod along with retrieving things from our lumbar packs. Thinking about it a while, I decided what we need is pre-tied tippets and flys that we could change easily with loop-to-loop a connections (kinda like the tarpon fly fishers in the keys use). So I have done that and packaged several flys in small bags that can put in your shirt pocket or the wader pocket. Haven't tried it yet under fire, but it has passed the bench test.

Good idea!

That looks good. I'm having trouble with the same thing.

Another thing I have done is to pre-tie droppers such as nymphs, green/pink weenies etc on various leader lengths. I then tie a clinch knot drawn down on the nose of my hemostat/clamp leaving a small loop. I package these too. When needed, take the dropper out of the package, slip the small loop over the indicator hook, and then pull it tight. Ready to go.

Now that is creative thinking. Thanks.
    tired of dropping flys in the stream. This should save me some $

JCW
    Last edited by Streamhound; 10-28-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo

Jimw,

C&F makes a threader insert card for their flybox. You can slide small flies 18 or 20 down onto the threaders, perhaps 4 each x5 threaders and then thread your tippet on the stream. I bought this a couple of years ago. I am 66 and have bifocals and I cant see far away either. It works for me. Ask about it at the flyshop.

John B

Great idea. I’ve been using some 3x reading glasses for those fine tippets. Problem with that is I have to be on shore to change flies or tippets, I’m worried I’ll loose my glasses, tippet, fly or all of it, LOL. I think I’ll give your idea a go. Thanks!

Thanks for this suggestion