Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday-January 1-2019-It's coming! Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition

Default Tuesday-January 1-2019-It's coming! Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition

Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma
    Tradition
    7th Year Anniversary!
    Official Announcement

"The Great Smoky Mountains most highly anticipated event of the year is only 28 days away!"
    Tuesday, January 1st 2019 New Year's Day at Metcalf Bottoms Picnic area in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

"Yes, the New Year is just around the corner and the passing of another year! Once again I have maintained my youthful appearance and physique while the rest of my friends and cohorts have deteriorated and aged terribly."-Bigsur

This is the seventh year officially for Big Sur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition and I invite everyone to stop by Metcalf Bottoms picnic area off Little River Rd between 12:00 and 4:00 pm Tuesday January 1st, 2019 New Year's Day, throw a line and get your fishing karma on for 2019. This is the very description of unorganized and unsponsored by any group, just fishin fanatics gathering for a minute of casting, telling tall tales, outright lies and recounting the last year's escapades.

As usual no event would be complete without a competition, and as tradition demands we will be competing for whoever catches the largest fish, uhh...make that any fish! Once again the winner will receive the coveted Herb's Welding Shop hat and braggin rights for a year, where he or she will than have their picture taken in the hat, which we immediately take back cause it's the only hat we have! In addition the winner receives a six pack of Armour's finest Vienna Sausage {DISCLOSURE: Armour denies any affiliation with this event and asks that we change to Hormel Potted Meat]

As we speak Duckypaddler is hard at work in his secret underground lair creating the Big Sur's New Year's Day Karma winners 2019 plaque. A work of art that the winner receives if they pay shipping and handling!

2018 WINNER Kris Nichols "Kris's completely unbiased testimony: "My life improved over 500% after winning last year!"
    Uhh...It was a little cold last year!

Last edited by bigsur; 12-03-2018 at 08:25 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

I suppose I can plan to be there, assuming I don't have anything better to do. And maybe I'll bring a big pot of something good and tasty. Might even wet a line this year.

SC
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

Hope to be there this year! Looking forward to it...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

It wouldn't be New Years without a Stana Claus stirring the pot! This year is bound to be warmer.

David I am assuming you are shooting for our first returning winner from 2017 to repeat. Don't worry we have a new six pack of Armour's finest meat product in it's own carrying case! [Disclosure:This is the same face David had when informed he was being audited.]
    Last edited by bigsur; 12-05-2018 at 10:37 PM.

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

I'm particularly interested in that fine winner's plaque from Duckypaddler. My 2017 plaque is getting lonely in my fishing and tying room...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

2018 WINNER Kris Nichols "Kris's completely unbiased testimony: "My life improved over 500% after winning last year!"
    Uhh...It was a little cold last year!

[/QUOTE]
    I don't remember saying that. Though it was little on the chilly side last year.
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

I've wanted to make this for several years now. Maybe this year is the year. Looks like a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gjbu View Post
    I've wanted to make this for several years now. Maybe this year is the year. Looks like a lot of fun.

"It definitely is fun and a one of a kind day!"
    12PM-4PM NEW YEAR'S DAY!
    TUESDAY JANUARY 1, 2019

METCALF BOTTOMS PICNIC AREA-
    "You'll be home in time for football!"

Someone asks me each year about what to bring, if you have never been to "Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition" food is a big part of it. Just like every year in addition we provide hot dogs on the grill with fixin's, and hot coffee, we bring 10 x 10 pop up canopies for those of a weaker nature to huddle under again! Why even the Mr. Buddy heaters make an appearance. We just ask you to bring a side item or dessert to share along with your beverage of choice. We will have multiple grills and some have brought soups and chilli, Of course we all hope every year Stanta Claus, our own resident cajun and LRO Forum alumni arrives with his cookin mojo, some years it's ranged from gumbo to BBQ!

Bring your drinks, cigars, family or dog and stop by for a minute, throw a line (bring a fishing license, we may even have an extra Martin rod or reel with orange line to make your New Year's cast if you forget your gear). If you wear waders you will be automatically entered in the "That Fool Gonna Drown Pool", where wagering is allowed on who goes under first! Rain or shine it's on like donkey kong, only snow and closed park gates will change the location. {If Park is closed due to weather-alternate location will be posted}

STANTA CLAUS COOKIN DA GUMBO ONE YEAR

BIGSUR'S TENT CITY
    Last edited by bigsur; 12-11-2018 at 09:24 PM.

What a wonderful event you guys continue to put on! Thank you for promoting and sharing our sport. Good job and props to all that participate. I have wanted to attend in the past, but, came up with some excuse. Hope this year's event is warmer and everyone has a blessed day.

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

12PM-4PM NEW YEAR'S DAY!
    TUESDAY JANUARY 1, 2019

METCALF BOTTOMS PICNIC AREA-
    "You'll be home in time for football!"

TODAY'S FEATURE: "MR. PEABODY'S WAYBACK MACHINE" [If you did not grow up with the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoon- Google it!
    ]

It is hard to believe this is the seventh year of the "BIGSUR'S NEW YEAR'S DAY KARMA TRADITION",​ originally before 2012 and moving to Metcalf's Bottom in the Park it was held on the Clinch River. It was a clandestine event held on January 1st each year on the banks of the mysterious Clinch known only to a few and rumored by many to not even exist. In 2012 it moved to the Park and has grown each year to become a winter legend unto itself, enjoyed by adults and adored by children!

Which brings us to Today's Feature, our very first Metcalf's Bottom hat winner was none other than LRO forum alumni "Thunderhead", known by his tribe as "ComonIwannaeat"!

BELOW ARE THE 2012 PICTURES:

Thunderhead reported his catch, which we immediately questioned??

Finally under threat of removal from the park area and association with our cult he adjusted his estimate!

MY FAVORITE SHOT FROM 2012-THUNDERHEAD'S 5WT AND MY 2WT RIGS

NOTABLE QUOTE THAT YEAR: "Excuse me do you have a Marlboro, no but we have a couple of Winston's,
    Paula, note the 5wt on the right, it might look familiar to you!"

Last edited by bigsur; 12-14-2018 at 12:27 PM.